Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Can anyone tell me if my beautiful ee is a roo? I'm praying no as this will be the second roo we got out of 6 chicks and we can't have roosters where I live. The chicks are ~ 15 weeks. Those long tail feathers have me quite concerned.

Thanks in advance!

She's a pullet. Males don't get that even partridge pattern, they would have solid white (or red) areas on the wings. A cockerel would have a fatter, redder comb too. She is very pretty.

I think I know the answer but I wanted confirmation on this episode of roo or not

From what I can see, this is a pullet. You would notice a red comb on a cockerel in the side view. (I'm assuming this bird is over 12 weeks.) Never have seen quite that color before. Really pretty!

She's a pullet. Males don't get that even partridge pattern, they would have solid white (or red) areas on the wings. A cockerel would have a fatter, redder comb too. She is very pretty.

From what I can see, this is a pullet. You would notice a red comb on a cockerel in the side view. (I'm assuming this bird is over 12 weeks.) Never have seen quite that color before. Really pretty!

Thank you I will have to tell her that
smile.png
, I picked her up at an auction Saturday so I really have no idea how old she is. At first I thought she was an older hen but because there is no comb or red I'm assuming shes younger

I guess I'm going by my flock.  This year I had eight cockerels start crowing between 6 and 8 weeks....  Nice egg....

Thanks! That sounds like a loud bunch haha... I just had the one roo so there wasn't anyone to teach him how to " Arooarooarooooooo!"

Yes, nice narrow and pale comb so far. The salmon color coming in on the breast is a good sign too! Couple of check marks have been removed from the cockerel column and put in the pullet column. YAY! I'll keep thinking girly thoughts for you!
Oh lets keep hoping!! I know better than to start guess at 3 weeks, but I did some searching on this site for 3 week old EEs. Most males had pink/red combs by at least week 5. My batch is a second generation though (I guess that's what it's called) because the mothers are hatchery EE and father is barnyard New Hamp Red mix. I did go back and look at old pics of my previous EE hatchery chicks and found that the males had very noticeable comb growth by 3 weeks but they didn't turn pink/red until 5 weeks. I found pics of my first EE's (roos of course) and they were from a farm just like my current roo. They're combs were pink between 3 and 4 weeks.

If my rooster had been clean faced and the hens have beards and muffs, would my chicks be clean faced or have beards and muffs? Reason I'm asking is that my chicks are now 6 weeks old and appear to be clean faced.
As new chicks only my boy had chipmunk cheeks, then they disappeared until six weeks old then he got a beard starting up. My girls didn't have chipmunk cheeks as chicks but at about 8 weeks the girls beards started coming in. I would say give it a couple more weeks to see if something starts coming in.

If my rooster had been clean faced and the hens have beards and muffs, would my chicks be clean faced or have beards and muffs? Reason I'm asking is that my chicks are now 6 weeks old and appear to be clean faced.

Sounds like our coop.
Dad: (clean face; He hatched from a pink egg)

Moms: Hatched from blue-green eggs; had cheeks & beards.

Babies=
Most chicks (8 out of 10) from these two hens have cheeks. We could see them within the 1st couple days. The female pullets from spring are now laying green-blue eggs as well. (So I've been told by the people who bought them.)

We also have a few mixes without puffy cheeks. Their spring babies are now laying olive or pinkish eggs. None of the clean faced hens + clean faced roo produced chicks with cheeks. The olive eggs were quite a surprise. I was expecting brown or pinkish brown egg layers. Perhaps the roo had some blue-green egg genes in him, even though he came from a pink egg.

We hatched these for a fun project & also gave fertile eggs to the local schools. It was neat to see how all the chicks hatched out. If you incubate, make sure you have a plan to get rid of the extras before you start.

We got back from a two weeks vacation last week and found that our pullets have all grown so much!! One of my EEs has grown way more than the other two!!! It’s huge!! The girls are 9 weeks old now. I’m thinking roo because it’s so much bigger. Also, the feathers around it’s neck look really pointy (a roo trait?). What do ya’ll think?

Last edited:
We got back from a two weeks vacation last week and found that our pullets have all grown so much!! One of my EEs has grown way more than the other two!!! It’s huge!! The girls are 9 weeks old now. I’m thinking roo because it’s so much bigger. Also, the feathers around it’s neck look really pointy (a roo trait?). What do ya’ll think?

I think it's a big girl!
smile.png
The comb is pale and no red on the wings.

Back
Top Bottom