Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Update on mine: Catching them is stressful, so if I say that the combs are pale, that is based off of how they look throughout the day. They are just over 6 weeks old.

Olive/Oliver
Single comb, mostly still pale, but wattles coming in

Annie
Pea comb, hasn't grown, single line. I see it pale more often than pink.

Opal/Opie
Single comb, recently has started to look noticeably pink from a distance. Wattles aren't as pronounced as Olive/Oliver's

Abbey
Single comb, hoping she's a black sex link. I have a barred rock hen and father is a New Hampshire red mix

Every time I go out to say hello to the chooks I change my mind about this ones gender. Please help me make up my mind....seems to be the smartest one of the lot :)

She is a pullet.
smile.png
No doubt.

Update on mine: Catching them is stressful, so if I say that the combs are pale, that is based off of how they look throughout the day. They are just over 6 weeks old.

Olive/Oliver
Single comb, mostly still pale, but wattles coming in

Annie
Pea comb, hasn't grown, single line. I see it pale more often than pink.

Opal/Opie
Single comb, recently has started to look noticeably pink from a distance. Wattles aren't as pronounced as Olive/Oliver's

Abbey
Single comb, hoping she's a black sex link. I have a barred rock hen and father is a New Hampshire red mix

The 1st one (Olive/Oliver) has a pale comb, but I don't know how to judge wattles. (My EEs have cheeks/beards, so no wattles.) I have no idea on that one. They're tough. The only one that looks like a promising female to me is the last black one. At 6 weeks, I would expect any with slight pink tones in the comb to be male. (Unless it's a very hot day.)
I'm not an expert & could easily be wrong. As they get older, you'll see (or not see) gender specific traits develop.

lablover, forgot to comment on your birds. I'm not sure on any of them really. Have to see how the combs develop in the next couple of weeks. Also the red wings on Olive and Opal. Olive looks to have a suspicious white patch in the middle of the wing. Annie has thick legs. Interested to see how they turn out.

I got 4 more eggs today and they don't care where they lay... I found one in the run LOL love going out through out the day and every time finding an egg

Back
Top Bottom