Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I knew when I bought these chicks that the chick on the top left in the second picture and second 4 week old in the first picture next to the gold one is a roo. It always was larger and had thicker longer legs than the others. Now it is getting a few rust colored feather coming in at the shoulder area. They are 5 1/2 weeks now. In another week we will see what grows out lol cause I still think its a rooster.

UPDATE: At almost 8 weeks

They turned out just like their chick color with one having a darker head than the other,

The other two, roo and hen: #1 and 4

Very interesting colors! Pictures just don't capture their colors correctly. These two are in the doghouse/banty coop, for bullying my two younger blues who are spending time bonding with the above two hens. I'll make another post on them, its quite interesting.

These two EE's produced these two blue chicks, I was really surprised. You can click on the pics to enlarge.

And I need to know if anyone else thinks the darker one is a roo. I think it might be because it was VERY slow to feather out. They are 5 weeks tomorrow.

They blend into the background. I wanted some blue Ameracauna's and all were sold out or unavailable, but look at the surprises I got lol! They all look blue or blue wheaton. What the dark pullet in the doghouse is, is anyone's guess, she is so unusual.

Last edited:

This is the best I could do will try to get more pictures if needed

those are pretty EE's

UPDATE: At almost 8 weeks

They turned out just like their chick color with one having a darker head than the other,

The other two, roo and hen: #1 and 4

Very interesting colors! Pictures just don't capture their colors correctly. These two are in the doghouse/banty coop, for bullying my two younger blues who are spending time bonding with the above two hens. I'll make another post on them, its quite interesting.

These two EE's produced these two blue chicks, I was really surprised. You can click on the pics to enlarge.

And I need to know if anyone else thinks the darker one is a roo. I think it might be because it was VERY slow to feather out. They are 5 weeks tomorrow.

They blend into the background. I wanted some blue Ameracauna's and all were sold out or unavailable, but look at the surprises I got lol! They all look blue or blue wheaton. What the dark pullet in the doghouse is, is anyone's guess, she is so unusual.

Thanks, I thought so too. I have been eyeballing the two I think are pullets that looks like red on the shoulders coming out. If I don't say it, it won't happen lol.

those are pretty EE's

Thank you silo
263a.png
btw that's the same bird my only ee I don't think I've ever seen one with markings like that she looks like a hawk! Hope thats a good thing as we have five that fly over our house often I wish I could find more like her she's beautiful and she's grown the fastest out my others which are buff orp silver laced wyandotte and barred rock she went from the bottom of the pecking order to the top

I have one that looks exactly like yours victoriaamb:) :) Do you know what breeds the parents are for yours???

Hi everyone. I've been reading this thread but I'm only on post #850 so I jumped ahead to ask a question as I will be getting two EEs tomorrow or Friday.

Is there a certain color or pattern to pick or avoid when choosing EE chicks to make the chance of NOT getting any boys? They will be hatchery stock and "sexed" as pullets but that's only 90% accuracy rate. I'm not even sure if they will have any differences or not, they may all look exactly the same when we go to pick them up ,lol, but I just want to go prepared with as much knowledge as possible.

I'm kind of hoping that we get the call for Friday, because if we get the call Thursday that means my husband will be going to get them because I will be at work that day. Not that I don't trust him but I have all kinds of information that I will give him I'm afraid it might get jumbled up between the three different chicken breeds we are getting, lol

Also, I just read on the last post before I jumped ahead that single comb mean no colored eggs? It's probably way too early to tell, but can you tell on a chick that young if it will have single or pea comb?

I will be sure to post pics after I get them :)

I hope it was ok to ask these questions here.
Thanks in advance.

If the chicks are 1-3 days old, look at the wings. The girls have 2 feather joints and the boys have one. This changes very quickly. If they are 1-2 weeks, look at the wing length/tail length - girls will have longer wings and a tail, whereas the boys will have stubby wings and next to no tail. This NOT 100% at all, but if you're picking chicks up out of a bin, it will help your odds. I grabbed 8 EE's from Ace Hardware 12 weeks ago with an eye towards 1 cockerel and 7 pullets and that's what I've ended up with. I could actually use another cockerel, so I was hoping Ideal had missed one on the 10 Welsummers & Barnvelders they sent, but nope, they got it all right this time.

Back
Top Bottom