Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Just wondering if anyone could help me out here. Boys, or girls ????

All are around 8 weeks old. Thanks for any help.

Hi everyone! I've been following this thread for almost a year now and have found it very helpful in sexing my easter eggers early on, but I have one now that has me stumped! This chick is almost completely white with a few dark gray feathers coming in (bad sign, right?). It's too soon to tell if they will develop a pattern, but imo possible based on where they are. Also, the comb is getting a bit pink, but is still pretty small. This chick is 6-7 weeks old. It seems to have a pullet stance, and petite legs and feet compared to some of my other definite pullets. Would love to hear what you all think!

That comb is practically nonexistent. A slight pink 'flush' is not the same as cockerel bright pink.
A boy will develop the three row comb before it turns bright. A boy will always have the three rows.

Slightly pink pullet. Not even close to looking like a boy.

Fair enough, here are some better comb pictures. It's been out running around in the yard so the beard is a little wet and dirty...

The comb doesn't look like this unless the chick is excited, in this case it is very flushed because I'm handling it. Still, looks like the dreaded raspberry color to me. Comb is relatively low profile. Thanks!

I have a general chicken question... I have 3 EEs and 5 other chickens. None of them sleep in their roosts. They hang out on them through the day but don't sleep there through the night. Is this normal? If so when do they start sleeping on them? And to make it stranger they all cram under their food and water containers.

Thank you very much for the response - I sure hope you are right. I was lucky enough to spot this EE in a bin of delawares and buff orps, the employees at the feed store thought that the "ameraucanas" had been sold out. I've always wanted a white EE!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom