Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

That's good to know and makes sense. I have or have had 6 EE this year (building my first flock) and only one has a tiny single row pea comb (6 weeks old). That give me hope for the other one I still have (almost 4 weeks old). The other 4 boys are back with the breeder.

Here is my 6 week pullet "Lady Liberty" (or at least I'm fairly certain she is a she)

She has a small comb, very nice, even pattern, and overall feminine look. Looks like a pullet for sure!

That's good to know and makes sense. I have or have had 6 EE this year (building my first flock) and only one has a tiny single row pea comb (6 weeks old). That give me hope for the other one I still have (almost 4 weeks old). The other 4 boys are back with the breeder.

Here is my 6 week pullet "Lady Liberty" (or at least I'm fairly certain she is a she)

As mymilliefluer said, a very even feather patterning is one of the indicators of a pullet. I gather the black and white EE cockerels don't get the "early indicator" rusty red wing patches which makes them harder to determine but usually they will not be so evenly patterned as your bird.

Looking awfully patchy, which almost always means it's a cockerel.
Ok. Thanks
smile.png
He'll make a nice dinner
tongue.png

I have this Easter Egger (well that is what is was sold me for). it has a straight looking comb though and it is killing me trying to sex it. It is 5 weeks old now. The comb is developed but as you can see not red. It does sometimes stand very tall and straight like only a rooster does (at least that's what I heard). The pattern does not seem very clear though and I am leaning towards rooster. What are your impressions please?

I have this Easter Egger (well that is what is was sold me for). it has a straight looking comb though and it is killing me trying to sex it. It is 5 weeks old now. The comb is developed but as you can see not red. It does sometimes stand very tall and straight like only a rooster does (at least that's what I heard). The pattern does not seem very clear though and I am leaning towards rooster. What are your impressions please?
Looking at the pictures, it does appear to have a single comb, and also wattle buds coming in as well. Could be an EE mix with something else, but this bird got the single comb.

Back
Top Bottom