Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

These girls are 6 months. No squatting, no sign of laying. My other girls, assorted breeds were laying by 4-5 months. Is it because they came of age in November/December? Will they wait till spring? I don't use a light, but the roof of the coop is clear polycarbonate.
The one on the left looks like she's ready to start, if not laying already. Are you sure she isn't laying? Easter Eggers don't always lay blue or green. She could be laying brown, cream, or even white.
Agreed. If that one is not laying now she will be soon. Pullets will not always squat, especially if you have a rooster in the flock. I've found that a lot of times Easter Eggers will wait until they are 7-8 months before laying, but it really depends on the bird.

The one on the left looks like she's ready to start, if not laying already. Are you sure she isn't laying? Easter Eggers don't always lay blue or green. She could be laying brown, cream, or even white.

Hum. I'll pay closer attention. My 4 older girls- all lay different shades and I know them. I haven't seen any small pullet eggs. But a couple that I attribute to my RIR have come lightly speckled the last couple of days.

On the squatting thing: ALL of the 12 girls I got in 2012 from Ideal and raised with a heat lamp (shudder) squatted. NONE of the 7 I got from Meyer in 2015 that were brooded by one of the 2012 girls squatted. The 2015 EEs were hatched June 11 and laid at:
  • 23 weeks 2 days (11/18)
  • 26 weeks 1 day (12/9)
  • 30 weeks 5 days (1/9)

You all sexed my EE- professor Cluck - a few months ago as a pullet. Happy to report she laid this beautiful blue egg today at 24 weeks :) her "sister" EE laid the green one - she has been laying for almost 2 weeks now.

Oh and squatting - my girls were June 15 hatch and one EE has been squatting for a couple weeks, about 2 weeks before she started laying at 23 weeks even. The other doesn't squat and laid today at 24 w 5 days. I did have a rooster (accidental) but rehomed him last Friday. He was all over the squatter
1f610.png

I live in the north and do have a light in the coop between 6am-4pm (when it gets dark here). My BO just started laying yesterday and the other 2 aren't laying yet.

Congrats on the pretty eggs!!!! It is nice when they lay different colors, you can keep tabs on who is laying.

Why a light from 6 AM to 4 PM, isn't is already light during that time? Well, maybe not at 6 AM, at least not here.

You all sexed my EE- professor Cluck - a few months ago as a pullet. Happy to report she laid this beautiful blue egg today at 24 weeks
smile.png
her "sister" EE laid the green one - she has been laying for almost 2 weeks now.

Congrats! I love seeing all the different shades of blue and green that Easter Eggers can lay.

I am 98 percent confident this little guy is a guy! Hoping for a few confirmations.. I have a EE hen that is black and white too and would love for some babies from these two!

Back
Top Bottom