Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Amelia is looking good to be a pullet, pale thin comb and an evenly dispersed color pattern. Ainsley also has pullet comb so far, but the coloring is a little concerning. I see distinct patches of darker color, which often indicates a cockerel. There's still hope, though, because I have seen this color of EE turn out to be a pullet... the darker color ends up not being quite the right shade of red and becomes a more overall pattern across most of the bird, not just on the wings, like males get. I do see darker patches on the wings, but also high on the breast, the back and tail. That's a lot of words to say I'm not sure! Hope you will post update pic next week. Fingers crossed for two pullets!

I was wondering about that... if Ainsley's feathering was starting to get cockerel-patchy, or if it's just how the feathers are growing in (because it's changed over time since she was a chick). Here's a little comparison of how she's looked as she's grown. It's be so ironic if she was a boy, because from day one it was AMELIA that I was worried about (she was a very leggy, butchy little chick...). Ha!
Chicks 5_4 Weeks & Progress.png

as a reminder this is what she started out as

She is starting her 10th week....still not one pointy feather, her comb is still single row of peas and pale.

Hmmmm, one of my chicks (pictured here at 5 weeks and 2 days) looks a lot like yours when she was younger!!! Have been suspicious of the uneven darker red on mine, but if yours turned out to be a pullet, I will hold out hope...

IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_6725.JPG
IMG_6726.JPG
IMG_6730.JPG
Uh oh! Did my pullet turn into a cockerel? Obviously not but these curved tail feathers and now having some comb color is concerning. Her counterpart is a VERY obvious cockerel complete with huge red wide comb, shiny green tail feathers and red shoulders so I've been comparing for 10 weeks and thought one was safe but both tails started curling this week. About 10 weeks old. Thank you!

View attachment 554818 View attachment 554819 View attachment 554820 Uh oh! Did my pullet turn into a cockerel? Obviously not but these curved tail feathers and now having some comb color is concerning. Her counterpart is a VERY obvious cockerel complete with huge red wide comb, shiny green tail feathers and red shoulders so I've been comparing for 10 weeks and thought one was safe but both tails started curling this week. About 10 weeks old. Thank you!

Still looking like a pullet. They should be molting now which can make the curled baby feathers at the top more noticeable. Those aren't baby male feathers, just baby feathers.

Back
Top Bottom