Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thank you!! I will keep posting updates! Hopefully he doesn’t turn out mean. I have no rules where I live about roosters so I can keep them but I don’t want a mean one and I’m pretty sure one of the other five is also a rooster (mystery egg possibly buff Orpington - I’ll post a picture). I’ve heard EE roosters are notorious for being overly aggressive and mean. Fingers crossed the other 3 are hens!
The advice to wait and see how their temperaments develop is good. You said the breeder confirmed that your chicks are hybrids (assuming that means crosses) so I don't think they will be like the typical hatchery EEs. I had one accidental hatchery male that went through a mean phase as a juvie, but the lady that ended up taking him said he was a good even tempered adult and was never aggressive. The second hatchery misdiagnosed-pullet male was never mean, a little standoffish. The woman who got him was very happy.

I think it's best to not handle them too much as youngsters. The hormones will happen, juvies will test and make mistakes before they mature, and while you don't want them to be afraid of people, you do want them to have a healthy respect... less likely they will cross the line.

As far as your Orpington, I would bet male but am not sure. There is probably a thread that specializes in Orps or maybe you could start a new one to get advice from folks with more Orpington experience.

Would this be a EE cockerel?
Depends on the age. Under 8 weeks, most likely a male. If it's older than 12 weeks or so, it could be a pullet. We would also need some better pics of the comb.

I have noticed in the last couple of years more EEs with all that red, and the splotchy pattern happens on the hens as well. Males do get the darker red, but it's hard to tell without something to compare and colors on phone and computer screens are not always accurate. That being said, the color does look more rooster red. If the breast continues to fill in with black feathers, that would indicate a male as well.

My red EE is lighter... more orange-ish
20200524_123202.jpg

Here she is from the side.
20200524_123303.jpg

The advice to wait and see how their temperaments develop is good. You said the breeder confirmed that your chicks are hybrids (assuming that means crosses) so I don't think they will be like the typical hatchery EEs. I had one accidental hatchery male that went through a mean phase as a juvie, but the lady that ended up taking him said he was a good even tempered adult and was never aggressive. The second hatchery misdiagnosed-pullet male was never mean, a little standoffish. The woman who got him was very happy.

I think it's best to not handle them too much as youngsters. The hormones will happen, juvies will test and make mistakes before they mature, and while you don't want them to be afraid of people, you do want them to have a healthy respect... less likely they will cross the line.

As far as your Orpington, I would bet male but am not sure. There is probably a thread that specializes in Orps or maybe you could start a new one to get advice from folks with more Orpington experience.
Such great advice thank you! It’s so interesting that less handling now will help to make them less aggressive. I would’ve thought the opposite. I have been handling the suspected males regularly in hopes it would help to make them more docile so I’ll start doing that a lot less with the roosters. I have young children and a small flock so I want the hens to be friendly but definitely can’t have nor want roosters who are aggressive towards people.

Depends on the age. Under 8 weeks, most likely a male. If it's older than 12 weeks or so, it could be a pullet. We would also need some better pics of the comb.

I have noticed in the last couple of years more EEs with all that red, and the splotchy pattern happens on the hens as well. Males do get the darker red, but it's hard to tell without something to compare and colors on phone and computer screens are not always accurate. That being said, the color does look more rooster red. If the breast continues to fill in with black feathers, that would indicate a male as well.

My red EE is lighter... more orange-ish
View attachment 2164729

Here she is from the side.
View attachment 2164734
My bird is 12 weeks. I don't know if these pictures would help at all. I am starting to lean to rooster as it's making donkey sounding noises in the am

Attachments

• 20200528_132228.jpg
    20200528_132228.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200528_132236.jpg
    20200528_132236.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200528_132234.jpg
    20200528_132234.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 6
Such great advice thank you! It’s so interesting that less handling now will help to make them less aggressive. I would’ve thought the opposite. I have been handling the suspected males regularly in hopes it would help to make them more docile so I’ll start doing that a lot less with the roosters. I have young children and a small flock so I want the hens to be friendly but definitely can’t have nor want roosters who are aggressive towards people.
The cockerel that got nippy with me was handled quite a bit. Second one was not, and no issues. Same results with some Seramas. My hypothesis is the bolder "friendly" male chicks lose their fear of people (or hands!) and feel more free to act aggressive when the hormones kick in. I don't have any real proof. I still think it's mostly hormones and individual genetics. We had a prince of a Serama rooster, handled constantly as a chick from day 5, and he was always a perfect gentleman. Such a lovely bird. Luck of the draw mostly, I think.

My bird is 12 weeks. I don't know if these pictures would help at all. I am starting to lean to rooster as it's making donkey sounding noises in the am
Yes, donkey noises are a big sign! Some of the red feathers look glassy... that's male. If you can look under the feathers at skin at the base of the tail, see if sharply pointed male saddle feathers are sprouting out. 12-13 weeks is when they came in for my EE boys.

Not too early to tell on the dark one... he's a boy!
I'll bet with W4W on that. OK, I'd be a fool to bet against her even if I didn't agree ;)
That is not a place I'd want to see that shade of red on a chick unless I wanted a rooster.

Rooster for sure?
I'll say "sorry, yes".

Would this be a EE cockerel?

Depends on the age. Under 8 weeks, most likely a male. If it's older than 12 weeks or so, it could be a pullet.
That was my question. I'm leaning cockerel.

I know it's still early, but it's driving me nuts that EE's are the hardest to guess for me yet. Initially I suspected one was a rooster, now I'm beginning to suspect only one is a pullet.
In the first pic I think the one closest to me on the heat plate is a pullet.
IMG_20200529_081114~2.jpg

IMG_20200529_084811~2.jpg

IMG_20200529_084630~2.jpg

Then they went outside so I could clean the brooder, but I didn't realize the pics would suck. They are always sparring and puffing out with the "come at me bro" thing going on.
IMG_20200529_092348.jpg

IMG_20200529_092408~2.jpg
IMG_20200529_092355~2.jpg

ETA...most of them are starting to turn red above the shoulders.

I know it's still early, but it's driving me nuts that EE's are the hardest to guess for me yet.
Can't really tell anything from the pictures. Red, generically, isn't bad, there is a particular mahogany red that often shows up first on the wing bows of cockerels. I've had a couple of pullets/hens that had definite red/orange coloring in their feathers but they always were evenly patterned across the back rather than patchy which is another EE cockerel trait.

Back
Top Bottom