Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Quote:
I am a total rookie. I am getting some EEs in May, and so am very interested in this post. Thanks for trying to help the newbies! I have a question. In the photos from OP the pullet, Munk, has what I would call orange feathers on her neck, shoulders and back. Illia describes orange feathers on the neck, back and shoulders as tell-tale signs of a cockerel. I am misunderstanding something. Can you please help me understand what I am missing here?

Thank you!

This is Sulo when he was at his new home
smile.png
He is a big flock leader boy now lol.

DebbysChickens027.jpg

DebbysChickens026.jpg

DebbysChickens025.jpg

DebbysChickens018.jpg

DebbysChickens009.jpg

DebbysChickens003.jpg

DebbysChickens002.jpg

DebbysChickens005.jpg

I think he was... Shoot not sure how old here.

All of my many EE hens are brownish, dull, not exciting. I have one that is greyish but that's it. The roos I have had were colorful, fancy and pretty! Black and white, greenish feathers, just way more colorful. I've never had a hen that was very colorful except for maybe a grey beard on a brown body!

Quote:
I guess I should clarify - if the bird has a lot of white, but with orange in the shoulders especially - male. If it has a black chest but orange or red in the neck, shoulders, etc - it is male.

If it has an orange breast and orange everywhere else too like Munk - Female. Especially if it is solid brown/orange with black stripes, female. Unless the breast starts to develop black.

Quote:
I guess I should clarify - if the bird has a lot of white, but with orange in the shoulders especially - male. If it has a black chest but orange or red in the neck, shoulders, etc - it is male.

If it has an orange breast and orange everywhere else too like Munk - Female. Especially if it is solid brown/orange with black stripes, female. Unless the breast starts to develop black.

Illia...can I get your thoughts on a 2 week old or do I need to wait until all adult feathers come in? My daughter is holding Easter, our 13 day old EE ( sorry that the child with a brown shirt is holding the brown bird) To me it is typical chipmunk pattern that I am praying is a pullet. EE has less of a comb that i can see than the BO does.

64297_img_3929.jpg

Last edited:
Now ya'll have me wondering what I have....... lol. I was hoping I picked pullets. I just bought 6 EE bantams. They are soooooo cute I couldn't stop. I am now going to go outside and take pictures and then post them here to get your opinions. I've never had bantams before. I do have chickens, ducks and turkeys. Pretty soon I'll have a couple of geese. yeah, like I need anymore. Anyway, I'm off to the coop and hoping my flash works since it's now almost 9 pm.

Back
Top Bottom