Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I think all three are girls. You would have more comb development by now, and they all have girly coloring. Girls get 'saddle feathers' too, they're just rounded. And I don't think pointed saddle feathers in boys even show up this early
Yah, none have any saddle feathers yet, too early. My one 'for sure' boy has a huge red comb and a big droopy tail, so I have no doubt where he is concerned. That said, EE's can mature late. I have an araucana in this batch that I am thinking might be turning into a boy and s/he is just starting to pink up a little in the comb. I love all the interesting EE colors and it's kinda neat to figure out boy colors and girl colors. The last one looks like typical EE girl colors (although that crest is kinda whacky).. :)

Last edited:
I think all three are girls. You would have more comb development by now, and they all have girly coloring. Girls get 'saddle feathers' too, they're just rounded. And I don't think pointed saddle feathers in boys even show up this early

Thanks for the lesson! I thought I was getting this down but obviously not!
duc.gif

This forum was a great help to me last year when I caught chicken fever. I thought I was done with my city flock of 3, but couldn't resist getting a couple of EE chicks at the feed store
smile.png

They are 3.5 weeks old. Sally is feathering in a little faster in basic brown barred feathers. This one, Rosie, is feathering a little slower. I haven't seen feathers like hers on the forum. They go from bright silver to dark...very pretty. Any early ideas on sex/adult color on Rosie?

Question, I have an EE that has not layer and has not crowed. We can our chicken Boss, Boss is much bigger than our other EE but just yesterday, Boss did the mating stance while being pet. I still am not sure and hoped that someone out there in BYC land could give me some insight. THanks, Jen

Question, I have an EE that has not layer and has not crowed. We can our chicken Boss, Boss is much bigger than our other EE but just yesterday, Boss did the mating stance while being pet. I still am not sure and hoped that someone out there in BYC land could give me some insight. THanks, Jen

I don't know but she looks just like some of my hens.

This forum was a great help to me last year when I caught chicken fever. I thought I was done with my city flock of 3, but couldn't resist getting a couple of EE chicks at the feed store
smile.png

They are 3.5 weeks old. Sally is feathering in a little faster in basic brown barred feathers. This one, Rosie, is feathering a little slower. I haven't seen feathers like hers on the forum. They go from bright silver to dark...very pretty. Any early ideas on sex/adult color on Rosie?
I'm not sure... But the pattern on the wing feathers reminds me of duckwing or quill. Very pretty, especially with the silvery color. It's too early to be sure on sex.

100% female! Males will have skinny, shiny saddle and hackle feathers, and big, dark mahogany color patches on their shoulders. Boss is all girl, probably just showing her dominance by doing the mating dance. My top hen does that too. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and tricks everyone who contributed! I will surely be using them here shortly. I'm pretty confident I have 2 roos so far out of 7 EE's. I'm sure a couple more of them will roo out on me. Darn! I hope to have 3 hens, but I'll have to wait and see. Thanks again!

Thank you, Illia! Your posting is very helpful.

By the way, how would one describe Munk's coloration, with the golden head and (I guess) "duckwing"-type body? One of my EE hens has this coloration and I really like it. Is there a precise term for it?

Back
Top Bottom