Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Iris, in the picture above also had a very questionable tail...One long feather and tail seemed to curl down. I was also told she was most likely a roo at six weeks. I was still sweating it out until just recently. Because her "brother" was so different - triple pea comb, legs, stance, etc., I held out. I absolutely love these birds and had to get another (Araucana/Easter Egger). I just couldn't get another black and white, to much stress! - so I got the classic chipmunk/pullet. Tough birds to figure out -

Quote: Right. Curving tail feathers aren't the same as pointed -- cockerels will have pointed saddle feathers. All 3 of my EE pullets have curved saddles, but if you look closely the ends are rounded.

Iris, in the picture above also had a very questionable tail...One long feather and tail seemed to curl down. I was also told she was most likely a roo at six weeks. I was still sweating it out until just recently. Because her "brother" was so different - triple pea comb, legs, stance, etc., I held out. I absolutely love these birds and had to get another (Araucana/Easter Egger). I just couldn't get another black and white, to much stress! - so I got the classic chipmunk/pullet. Tough birds to figure out -
That's so cool that you have one named Iris too! My b&w EE is Iris. :D

Can anyone weigh in on the bird on the left? The one on the right is definitely a roo ... he started crowing at around 9 weeks (when the photo was taken) and already had a very red and developed comb. Hoping the brown one with the pale comb is a girl! I've also included a close-up. Thanks for the help.

I'm afraid it's most likely a boy.

See the dark red patches on the shoulders? It's in the same place as the definite cockerel and that's a very definitive sign of a cockerel. There isn't as much comb development yet, but sometimes they take a little longer.

I'm afraid it's most likely a boy.

See the dark red patches on the shoulders? It's in the same place as the definite cockerel and that's a very definitive sign of a cockerel. There isn't as much comb development yet, but sometimes they take a little longer.
Thanks for the input -- sigh -- I'll have to start preparing the kids to say goodbye ... No roosters allowed where we live.

I think it's a pullet! I agree though, it can be difficult to tell. It has red all over and the comb is not near developed as the def. roo. I would absolutely keep it until you hear it crow. Sorry about the one on the right though, he is pretty.

I have to agree, it looks more girl to me than boy. The red is the same intensity all over - the tail, the chest, everywhere. I think I see some gold/gray hackle feathers coming in as well which is a "girl" thing. The boys have much more striking color contrasts. I would wait for a crow also.

The jury is still out - 11 weeks old. No crowing. No signs of spurs. No sign of long, pointy saddle feathers. All the tail feathers are rounded. Mixed parentage - Mom is an Easter Egger with a fantail. Dad is a purebred, Blue Copper Marans. Previous comments have been that Amelia is really a roo. I'm wondering if people still believe that, or if there are any other opinions. I'm really scratching my head and waiting to see.
big_smile.png

She is not really as red as this picture shows. It's bad lighting.

Siblings. "Amelia" on the left. We have the same dad, different moms. Amelia has a muff. Rose does not.

Donna is the other sibling. She is a pure Blue Copper Marans. Amelia and Donna have similar combs, but Donna has the beginnings of a waddle, and Amelia has no waddle at all.

The jury is still out - 11 weeks old. No crowing. No signs of spurs. No sign of long, pointy saddle feathers. All the tail feathers are rounded. Mixed parentage - Mom is an Easter Egger with a fantail. Dad is a purebred, Blue Copper Marans. Previous comments have been that Amelia is really a roo. I'm wondering if people still believe that, or if there are any other opinions. I'm really scratching my head and waiting to see.
big_smile.png

She is not really as red as this picture shows. It's bad lighting.

Siblings. "Amelia" on the left. We have the same dad, different moms. Amelia has a muff. Rose does not.

Donna is the other sibling. She is a pure Blue Copper Marans. Amelia and Donna have similar combs, but Donna has the beginnings of a waddle, and Amelia has no waddle at all.
Amelia is a ROO and Donna is NOT a Blue Copper Marans.... she has yellow legs, Marans don't.... sorry. Neither reply you want to hear
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom