Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Amelia is a ROO and Donna is NOT a Blue Copper Marans.... she has yellow legs, Marans don't.... sorry. Neither reply you want to hear
hmm.png

This is their dad. Isn't he gorgeous? The friend who gave me the eggs (hatched by my broody hen) says Donna is a Blue Copper Marans. Perhaps she is not pure bred. I don't care about that. I'm not showing or breeding them. I keep hens strictly for the eggs. She also believes Amelia is a hen, not a roo, based on what some of her hens look like and knowing one of her hens is the mom. I only posted this for opinions because I've had mixed responses. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other - except that I can't keep a roo in the city.

Can anyone weigh in on the bird on the left? The one on the right is definitely a roo ... he started crowing at around 9 weeks (when the photo was taken) and already had a very red and developed comb. Hoping the brown one with the pale comb is a girl! I've also included a close-up. Thanks for the help.

The jury is still out - 11 weeks old. No crowing. No signs of spurs. No sign of long, pointy saddle feathers. All the tail feathers are rounded. Mixed parentage - Mom is an Easter Egger with a fantail. Dad is a purebred, Blue Copper Marans. Previous comments have been that Amelia is really a roo. I'm wondering if people still believe that, or if there are any other opinions. I'm really scratching my head and waiting to see.
big_smile.png

She is not really as red as this picture shows. It's bad lighting.

Siblings. "Amelia" on the left. We have the same dad, different moms. Amelia has a muff. Rose does not.

Donna is the other sibling. She is a pure Blue Copper Marans. Amelia and Donna have similar combs, but Donna has the beginnings of a waddle, and Amelia has no waddle at all.

So "Amelia" is the chicken in the first photo? That's a lot of change in two short weeks. Well then I'll have to change my opinion, crow or not that's a HE. :(

So "Amelia" is the chicken in the first photo? That's a lot of change in two short weeks. Well then I'll have to change my opinion, crow or not that's a HE. :(
I'm confused.
idunno.gif
The three pictures were taken the same day. (S)he hasn't really changed at all in two weeks.

This is two weeks ago.

Well, I guess we will have to wait and see. I know people here are saying boy, but I've got other people telling me girl. Only time will tell for sure. Either way, (s)he is a beautiful bird.

Oh gosh. I am starting to think I have terrible luck.
Last year I got a small group of sexed as pullet chicks (7), and beat the odds by getting one rooster. I lost one chick.
This year I got two chicks-- one to replace the roo that I had to rehome (I just can't keep roos) and one to replace the one that passed away. Again, I bought them as sexed pullets.

I'm really worried that the darker chick is a cockerel. Though she has none of the other signs that my first roo did (no tree-trunk legs, no bare elbows, etc), her comb looks terribly pink to me, and I am scared of the reddish color on her wings. I haven't seen any photos of other people's birds quite like her so I am just hoping that she's just developing faster in the comb department... but I might just being over-optimistic!

I sure would appreciate your opinions.
Age in photos: Exactly 7 weeks
Purchased as sexed pullet from an individual, that got them from Cackle.

Here she was as a wee baby. Her baby down has always had a reddish hue.

Currently, at 7 weeks.
Panic Pants, the chick in question, is the one on the left. The other one is Willow and I am confident she is a beautiful pullet. I had accidentally startled them just before this photo.

Panic

You can see her feathers a bit better here. I keep checking her new pinfeathers on her neck and back to see if they are rounded (yes) or shiny/iridescent (no).

Her chest is overall warm amber/tan, and the new pinfeathers coming in are the same color (no black or reddish feathers).

Am I doomed?

Last year I got a small group of sexed as pullet chicks (7), and beat the odds by getting one rooster. I lost one chick.
This year I got two chicks-- one to replace the roo that I had to rehome (I just can't keep roos) and one to replace the one that passed away. Again, I bought them as sexed pullets.

I'm really worried that the darker chick is a cockerel. Though she has none of the other signs that my first roo did (no tree-trunk legs, no bare elbows, etc), her comb looks terribly pink to me, and I am scared of the reddish color on her wings. I haven't seen any photos of other people's birds quite like her so I am just hoping that she's just developing faster in the comb department... but I might just being over-optimistic!

Currently, at 7 weeks.
Panic Pants, the chick in question, is the one on the left. The other one is Willow and I am confident she is a beautiful pullet. I had accidentally startled them just before this photo.

Panic

You can see her feathers a bit better here. I keep checking her new pinfeathers on her neck and back to see if they are rounded (yes) or shiny/iridescent (no).

Her chest is overall warm amber/tan, and the new pinfeathers coming in are the same color (no black or reddish feathers).

Am I doomed?
That comb looks like it has 3 rows.... and is HUGE for a pullet that age.... I am going to say roo.....Got a shot of that comb straight on?

Currently, at 7 weeks.

Panic

Am I doomed?
I'm going to say roo, but it's still a little iffy at this point. I agree though, 'she' is rather large for a 7 week old pullet, and those tail feathers are pretty long...

Back
Top Bottom