Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

That comb looks like it has 3 rows.... and is HUGE for a pullet that age.... I am going to say roo.....Got a shot of that comb straight on?
I can try to get one later. It does have 3 rows, but so do the lighter colored chick in the photo above.

I'm going to say roo, but it's still a little iffy at this point. I agree though, 'she' is rather large for a 7 week old pullet, and those tail feathers are pretty long...
The funny thing is that she is actually a bit smaller, and weighs less (I have a gram scale), than the lighter colored chick she's photoed next to! They were both hatched the same day.

I'm curious. What makes you think this is a boy?

Oh gosh. I am starting to think I have terrible luck.
Last year I got a small group of sexed as pullet chicks (7), and beat the odds by getting one rooster. I lost one chick.
This year I got two chicks-- one to replace the roo that I had to rehome (I just can't keep roos) and one to replace the one that passed away. Again, I bought them as sexed pullets.

I'm really worried that the darker chick is a cockerel. Though she has none of the other signs that my first roo did (no tree-trunk legs, no bare elbows, etc), her comb looks terribly pink to me, and I am scared of the reddish color on her wings. I haven't seen any photos of other people's birds quite like her so I am just hoping that she's just developing faster in the comb department... but I might just being over-optimistic!

I sure would appreciate your opinions.
Age in photos: Exactly 7 weeks
Purchased as sexed pullet from an individual, that got them from Cackle.

Here she was as a wee baby. Her baby down has always had a reddish hue.

Currently, at 7 weeks.
Panic Pants, the chick in question, is the one on the left. The other one is Willow and I am confident she is a beautiful pullet. I had accidentally startled them just before this photo.

Panic

You can see her feathers a bit better here. I keep checking her new pinfeathers on her neck and back to see if they are rounded (yes) or shiny/iridescent (no).

Her chest is overall warm amber/tan, and the new pinfeathers coming in are the same color (no black or reddish feathers).

Am I doomed?

Last year I got a small group of sexed as pullet chicks (7), and beat the odds by getting one rooster. I lost one chick.
This year I got two chicks-- one to replace the roo that I had to rehome (I just can't keep roos) and one to replace the one that passed away. Again, I bought them as sexed pullets.

I'm really worried that the darker chick is a cockerel. Though she has none of the other signs that my first roo did (no tree-trunk legs, no bare elbows, etc), her comb looks terribly pink to me, and I am scared of the reddish color on her wings. I haven't seen any photos of other people's birds quite like her so I am just hoping that she's just developing faster in the comb department... but I might just being over-optimistic!

Currently, at 7 weeks.
Panic Pants, the chick in question, is the one on the left. The other one is Willow and I am confident she is a beautiful pullet. I had accidentally startled them just before this photo.

Panic

You can see her feathers a bit better here. I keep checking her new pinfeathers on her neck and back to see if they are rounded (yes) or shiny/iridescent (no).

Her chest is overall warm amber/tan, and the new pinfeathers coming in are the same color (no black or reddish feathers).

Am I doomed?

Hai Fud Lady!
frow.gif
(My son just noticed your avatar when we checked one of our favorite EE threads.) Unfortunately, I'm leaning toward cockerel with Panic Pants. The comb is largish and quite pink (especially in the pic with Fud Guy), and the dark red patches on the wings seem concentrated the way they are for roosters. Sorry. Hope I'm wrong!
fl.gif

The chicken guy at the feed store where I got my 2 sexed EEs this spring said that this breed seems to have a higher % of males in the orders. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there is such a wide variation among EEs. The light EE in my avatar turned out to be a boy (renamed RuPaul), and we found him a good home last week.

Best wishes!

I'm confused.
idunno.gif
The three pictures were taken the same day. (S)he hasn't really changed at all in two weeks.

This is two weeks ago.

Well, I guess we will have to wait and see. I know people here are saying boy, but I've got other people telling me girl. Only time will tell for sure. Either way, (s)he is a beautiful bird.
Amelia is a ROO. No doubt in my mind at all. Girls just don't look like that. =(

Funny thing is - DONNA decided to crow this morning. No one thinks Donna is a roo. She is just confused, I guess.
lau.gif
Heh, I didn't even look at donna's pic. Now I had better go look! :)

My EE/Americauna (not sure which, but he's all white and has blue legs, not green - his egg was marked W.Am, but you know how that goes) is JUST now starting to crow and he's almost 6 months old. It's a little squeak! :)

Here's a couple of pics of Donna - or is it Donald? Seriously - looks like a hen. No pointy saddle feathers at all. (S)he is mixed heritage. Not Easter Egger, but Marans, and I don't know what else. This one hatched from a very dark brown egg. I didn't even ask what people thought about gender, because we were so sure of its being a pullet. Guess we need to reconsider!

Heh, I didn't even look at donna's pic. Now I had better go look! :)

My EE/Americauna (not sure which, but he's all white and has blue legs, not green - his egg was marked W.Am, but you know how that goes) is JUST now starting to crow and he's almost 6 months old. It's a little squeak! :)

Here's a couple of pics of Donna - or is it Donald? Seriously - looks like a hen. No pointy saddle feathers at all. (S)he is mixed heritage. Not Easter Egger, but Marans, and I don't know what else. This one hatched from a very dark brown egg. I didn't even ask what people thought about gender, because we were so sure of its being a pullet. Guess we need to reconsider!

Quote: Well I would think the crowing is giving him a way. I think maybe he is crossed with a barred rock.... he has barring in his hackles and the yellow legs, both make me think BR is in that mix too.

Currently, at 7 weeks.

Panic

Am I doomed?
I'm reall sorry but looks like a cockerel to me! Here's my cockerel Heritage who I recently had to give away! :( They look similar... But don't do anything yet! I'm not an expert this is just what I think! Here are a few pics....

About 3-4 weeks?

About 10-12 weeks?

Well I would think the crowing is giving him a way. I think maybe he is crossed with a barred rock.... he has barring in his hackles and the yellow legs, both make me think BR is in that mix too.
I think it's a roo. 11 weeks, right? Too young for saddles really - I have 11 week old roos and they aren't even that red in the comb and haven't gotten their saddles in yet either. Part the feathers on the rear and see if you see any shinies coming in. :)

Back
Top Bottom