Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I am certainly no expert but have learned so much from this forum and seeing others pics....I am thinking #1 may be a roo (based on comb and feathering for 6 weeks old...also looks like sone color soming in on wings but may be it is just the lighting?) but #2 looks def like a pullet to me. Hope others will chime in with their opinions as well!

bok bok bok, B/W is a cockerel -- the wing patch is white rather than red but still quite clear. Tan&black is a pullet -- nice, even patterning.

I've been a long time gawker but this is my first post. Thanks all for the insight on this confusing breed. I was recently sold 2 Ameraucanas but I believe them to be EE's now. Any thoughts? Also, as much as I hate to think about it, I believe one of my fav's is a roo!
idunno.gif
It was speckled brown and looked like a mini hawk but eventually lost most of its brown and is mostly black and white now. Here is a pic when he/she was 2 weeks old.

Here is a pic of her now. He/she is approx. 6 wks. It took him/her much longer to feather than his/her sister.

Here is number 2..... both have 3 rows of combs coming in.

Thank you! Any input would be appreciated.
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You are right that these are EEs, but they are great birds! (unless you wanted to show)

I agree the black and white one is probably a boy, with those large patches of white. The black and whites that are pullets have a much smaller and evenly distributed pattern (like your brown EE). Watch for red patches that might come in the next couple of weeks which will show boy for sure.

The brown one is a girl for sure. Her pattern may change as she gets older. Mine looked very similar at that age, but now looks like this-

Last edited:
I'm hoping I could get some sexing help on my three!!! They are 5 weeks old. They were sexed pullets from a hatchery. The first two "girls" feathered in faster than the third by about a week.

"Girl" #1

"Girl" #2 (she is the smallest, has the smallest feet and legs, and feathered out faster than all my other chicks)

"Girl" #3 (feathered out the slowest)

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!!!!!

Thank you all for your posts, I've enjoyed reading them all! I am brand new to chickens and am loving it. Got 5 baby 'girls' chicks in July, but I think ones a roo based on the info here. But before I give him away, anyone want to tell me I am wrong? About 14 weeks, no crowing, but sure looks roo based on everything I've read...feathers came in later, red wings, pointy feathers near tail, getting a green-sheen feather in the tail, bigger redder comb...
Many thanks!

Thank you all for your posts, I've enjoyed reading them all! I am brand new to chickens and am loving it. Got 5 baby 'girls' chicks in July, but I think ones a roo based on the info here. But before I give him away, anyone want to tell me I am wrong? About 14 weeks, no crowing, but sure looks roo based on everything I've read...feathers came in later, red wings, pointy feathers near tail, getting a green-sheen feather in the tail, bigger redder comb...
Many thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

Yes that is a roo.... 100%

Back
Top Bottom