Easter Egger Snoring or Respiratory Issue?

CitrusMan

Chirping
Dec 15, 2016
Last night I noticed one of my birds making a "snoring" sound. I figured out that it was my Easter Egger, this morning. She is making almost a barking sound when she goes to cluck. No wheezing or coughing, however the occasional sneeze. I wonder what the issue with the snoring? Should I just keep an eye on it or would antibiotics be an option? Tylan, or maybe just some apple cider vinegar, garlic, honey, and olive oil soaked on bread?? I'm at a loss. Should I just keep an eye on her?

Sounds to me like she has something respiratory going on. I had a hen making a similar noise and gave her colloidal silver. My girl would sneeze every so often but more when agitated. Some garlic chopped in food with oregano or oregano oil can be helpful.
Antibiotics are harder to get and I’m not sure which would be best. You don’t want to mess around with respiratory issues though.

I cannot view your video, but I'm pretty sure it's my firewall and not an error on your end.

I had a bird with a respiratory infection. If I were to describe her symptoms I would say it sounded like she was snoring all the time. She was just a tiny little thing, about 6-8 weeks old and I could hear her from across the room. She sneezed on occasion. She ate and drank and pooped and acted ok, but she sounded terrible. I treated with Tylan soluble and there was significant improvement within about 48 hours. I came home from work, fearing the worst, and went to check on her, and she'd not perished, she'd escaped her hospital box and was strutting around the laundry room. Had I not treated with antibiotics I am certain should would have died.

It is a video of our Easter Egger at night on the perch making what sounds like a snoring noise. Other than an occasional barking sound instead of a cluck, I noticed no other issues. Eating and drinking fine, foraging fine, poop normal, getting along time with everybody, not isolating, no runny eyes or nose and no one usual discharge or other symptoms.

I have injectable Tylan that I can administer, just don't want to do it if it's unnecessary.

It is a video of our Easter Egger at night on the perch making what sounds like a snoring noise. Other than an occasional barking sound instead of a cluck, I noticed no other issues. Eating and drinking fine, foraging fine, poop normal, getting along time with everybody, not isolating, no runny eyes or nose and no one usual discharge or other symptoms.
Sounds just like my hen. I gave her the colloidal silver every night for quite some time but it seemed to work for her. I’m not saying don’t do antibiotics. If you have one that will work for this use it.

My personal opinion and I’m no expert...
If she hasn’t spread it to others by now the colloidal silver is worth a try. You can give them all some garlic in their food to help boost their immunity. Some nutri drench is good too.
Only you know what is best for your flock. Do the best you can with what you have and what you can afford to do.

The video sounds like rales or mucus rattling in the airway. I would use the Tylan 50 orally. Give 0.2 ml or 1/4 tsp per pound 2 or 3 times a day for 5 days. Draw it up with a needle, remove the needle and squirt it in the beak a drop at a time. Here is a list of respiratory diseases (MG or mycoplasma, coryza, ILT, and infectious bronchitis,) several of the common ones:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

The video sounds like rales or mucus rattling in the airway. I would use the Tylan 50 orally. Give 0.2 ml or 1/4 tsp per pound 2 or 3 times a day for 5 days. Draw it up with a needle, remove the needle and squirt it in the beak a drop at a time. Here is a list of respiratory diseases (MG or mycoplasma, coryza, ILT, and infectious bronchitis,) several of the common ones:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
I have some injectable. Can you give injectable orally? Would you for this bird? Other than this, there is no other signs of anything going on. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom