Easter Egger so Loud!

RI_Chicken

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2020
Hi All,

New to the site and a huge fan. I recently started raising chickens of my own this year. Hobby I always wanted to pick up since a lot of my family members use to raise them.

I live in a suburb so fairly close to neighbors. I have 9 hens, 8 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Easter Egger. My RR are very quite and calm peaceful hens but my EE is non stop screaming and making noises from what I can tell no reason at all. She screams in the morning which I can understand but then will just continue almost all day for 0 reason while the rest of my hens barely make any noise even when they finish laying they rarely make noise. They have a massive coop and I let them free range for almost the entire day.

My worry is that my neighbors will begin to get upset and will ultimately cause me to get rid of my chickens. Has anyone experienced this with an EE?

Also any suggestions on what I should/can do to lower her noise volume.

Thanks!

She has been laying daily. She was the first one out of my group of ladies to start actually. Seems to be the boss as well. Will make sure all of them will go in the coop at night as well.

I am sure it just depends on the bird. I had a Rhode Island Red that did the same thing. Constant yelling. Not gentle little “berks” like my Barred Rocks, but full on chicken-screech ALL THE TIME. It was worse when she could see us moving around in the house and she was still in the coop (coop is in back yard and visible to our sliding glass door). It was like, if she saw us moving around, she expected to be let out. If not, she made it known she was unhappy. She was definitely head-honcho and bossy to boot. It got to the point where I really hated hearing the noises and was even more worried about our neighbors, as well. I ended up rehoming her to a larger flock out in the country that had more room to run and less neighbors to care about the noise she emitted.
Anyway, my point is she is not likely to quiet down anytime soon, it may just be her personality that she is loud and bossy. In that case, you can either put up with it and just talk with your neighbors to see if they are bothered by it, or else try to rehome.

Also meant to ask, do you notice any particular time of day or occurrences that make her sqwuak more? Is it if she sees you moving around in the house, or hears you pull into the garage (those were our biggest issues)? Maybe if you can pick up on whatever seems to cause it most often, you can change something?

Also meant to ask, do you notice any particular time of day or occurrences that make her sqwuak more? Is it if she sees you moving around in the house, or hears you pull into the garage (those were our biggest issues)? Maybe if you can pick up on whatever seems to cause it most often, you can change something?

Every morning around 6-6:30 am she starts going at it. I originally thought it was being hungry so I would load the coop with food at night when they were sleeping so that first thing when they got up, they could eat but that wasn't it. Then I thought it was her wanting to get out of the coop and range so I setup fencing so they could all range in the green grass to eat and enjoy but still continues to scream. The only time she really quiets down is during rain or nasty weather or when they are about to go in for the night. Very Odd!

I am sure it just depends on the bird. I had a Rhode Island Red that did the same thing. Constant yelling. Not gentle little “berks” like my Barred Rocks, but full on chicken-screech ALL THE TIME. It was worse when she could see us moving around in the house and she was still in the coop (coop is in back yard and visible to our sliding glass door). It was like, if she saw us moving around, she expected to be let out. If not, she made it known she was unhappy. She was definitely head-honcho and bossy to boot. It got to the point where I really hated hearing the noises and was even more worried about our neighbors, as well. I ended up rehoming her to a larger flock out in the country that had more room to run and less neighbors to care about the noise she emitted.
Anyway, my point is she is not likely to quiet down anytime soon, it may just be her personality that she is loud and bossy. In that case, you can either put up with it and just talk with your neighbors to see if they are bothered by it, or else try to rehome.
Great response. I had a rooster, who obviously crowed. I didn't want to get rid of him, but we live In The city. Every morning I'd be so stressed out when he started crowing and all day I'd pretty much be cringing with every crow. Finally bit the bullet and rehomed him. Wondering why I didn't do it sooner... moral of the story..... lol... peace of mind is priceless.

Great response. I had a rooster, who obviously crowed. I didn't want to get rid of him, but we live In The city. Every morning I'd be so stressed out when he started crowing and all day I'd pretty much be cringing with every crow. Finally bit the bullet and rehomed him. Wondering why I didn't do it sooner... moral of the story..... lol... peace of mind is priceless.
It really is!

Back
Top Bottom