Easter Egger?

Chickeroo63

Chirping
Jun 16, 2022
North Carolina
Hi. This is my 7 week old easter egger. I have read that easter eggers don't have combs and wattles. Mine clearly does. Also, No. 1, named due to the fact it hatched first, behaves mostly like a pullet. However, the last week seems to be trying to crow in the mornings. Although it doesn't sound like a classic crow. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220601_100144_exported_12760~2.jpg
    20220601_100144_exported_12760~2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 34
I have read that easter eggers don't have combs and wattles. Mine clearly does.
Not all Easter Eggers look the same.
Some Easter Eggers have combs & wattles that are very small, even in males.
Some others have combs & wattles that are normal in size or even extra-big.

Most Easter Eggers have normal-type feathers, while I see yours has frizzled feathers. So if yours is an Easter Egger, he is one of the less-common versions.

the last week seems to be trying to crow in the mornings. Although it doesn't sound like a classic crow.
Crowing can sound really weird when a cockerel is first learning. It will probably sound more normal after he practices for a while.

This is my 7 week old easter egger... Any thoughts?
He is definitely a cockerel.
I can't tell for sure whether he is an Easter Egger or not.

With a female, it's easy to check: just wait for her to lay eggs, and if the eggs are green or blue she is an Easter Egger. With a male, that obviously does not work :gig

Whether he is actually an Easter Egger may matter if you or someone else chooses to breed him (it affects what color eggs his daughters will lay.) Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

Not all Easter Eggers look the same.
Some Easter Eggers have combs & wattles that are very small, even in males.
Some others have combs & wattles that are normal in size or even extra-big.

Most Easter Eggers have normal-type feathers, while I see yours has frizzled feathers. So if yours is an Easter Egger, he is one of the less-common versions.

Crowing can sound really weird when a cockerel is first learning. It will probably sound more normal after he practices for a while.

He is definitely a cockerel.
I can't tell for sure whether he is an Easter Egger or not.

With a female, it's easy to check: just wait for her to lay eggs, and if the eggs are green or blue she is an Easter Egger. With a male, that obviously does not work :gig

Whether he is actually an Easter Egger may matter if you or someone else chooses to breed him (it affects what color eggs his daughters will lay.) Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.
Thank you for the information. It is very helpful. I was hoping for a female but no. 1 is unique and I'm good with that!

It has slightly more comb than mine currently, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a rooster. I was told mine was likely a pullet by this photo, so you can compare. I should probably submit an updated picture for confirmation of gender as well

Attachments

• 20220522_115705.jpg
    20220522_115705.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220522_115733.jpg
    20220522_115733.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 14
It has slightly more comb than mine currently, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a rooster. I was told mine was likely a pullet by this photo, so you can compare. I should probably submit an updated picture for confirmation of gender as well
Mine is 7 weeks old now. I guess time will tell. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom