Easter Eggers and Heat Tolerance

luckitri

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
These babies have been staying in the shade for weeks. They have never liked the sun. Now that it is 85 degrees (89 a few times I think) they really cannot cope with it at all. Their mouths are open and we still have a few months before the real heat.

I keep trying to research but all I see is that Easter Eggers are cold tolerant. Nothing about how they do heat. I am even wondering if it is ethical to sell them out here in AZ because these babies are not liking it at all.

In the late afternoon when the sun is going down and shines in the whole side of their coop they really stress. (Actually the bantam is more OK with it.) The standard size "Ameracauna" (as called by the store) is really having trouble. I just went to check on her and it seemed that as I refreshed their water that she could not get up. Well she ran fast as soon as I misted her with the spray bottle so she just looked bad, she wasn't really bad.

The first day I noticed her difficulty with heat she had forgotten to drink water. I put my hand by the water and told her of it and she understood and came to drink and was better.

Is this fragility to heat something that they will outgrow? Is it natural for the babies to have less heat resistance?

Mine were very heat tolerant and our summers get well over 100 degrees for weeks at a time. Maybe it just depends on what breeds are in your particular cross?? Hopefully they'll acclimate to it before summer begins.

Lori

I think it may have to do with being babies. . . . . they seem to be getting better. They hate the mist from the water bottle.

I will keep the chicken gatoraid in mind though.

Back
Top Bottom