Easter eggers crossed with light sussex

luludaxia

Chirping
Sep 14, 2016
I hatched some green eggs from my easter eggers, I got some white birds (my easter eggers are black or blue). I think that's from my light sussex rooster. So I would get a white bird with muff on their ears? What should I call them? And what color of eggs shall I get from the hens (if they grow up to be hens)?

Sorry I'm no help! I just have a similar question about my babies. I just hatched 6 chicks from a black EE hen & blue EE hen with a blue laced red Wyandotte rooster. They all hatched from light green eggs. I'm also wondering what do I call them? Are they still considered EE's at this point since I assume they'll lay colored eggs? I'll be rehoming a couple of them and I need to know what to advertise them as.. maybe just mutts!

Last edited:
They call easter egger and delaware cross delawegger. So maybe I should call mine light sussegger? I know that an easter egger crossed with copper maran will lay olive eggs. But sussex lay light brown eggs, so not sure if their egg color will be mixed. Maybe you can call yours Wyandottegger and make it red Wyandottegger or other according to the appearance of the chicken.

Sorry I'm no help! I just have a similar question about my babies. I just hatched 6 chicks from a black EE hen & blue EE hen with a blue laced red Wyandotte rooster. They all hatched from light green eggs. I'm also wondering what do I call them? Are they still considered EE's at this point since I assume they'll lay colored eggs? I'll be rehoming a couple of them and I need to know what to advertise them as.. maybe just mutts! 

You can call them EE if you want. Or EE mixes or mutts or whatever. EE isnt a breed so guess it really isnt that important what you call them. They are really just mix breed chickens.
There is no guarantee what color they will lay. If the hen lays green eggs then she has one blue egg gene and one brown egg gene. Your rooster will have two brown egg genes. In theory all chicks will get brown gene from rooster and either brown gene or blue gene from hen. So 1/2 should lay brown and 1/2 should lay green.

You can call them EE if you want. Or EE mixes or mutts or whatever. EE isnt a breed so guess it really isnt that important what you call them. They are really just mix breed chickens.
There is no guarantee what color they will lay. If the hen lays green eggs then she has one blue egg gene and one brown egg gene. Your rooster will have two brown egg genes. In theory all chicks will get brown gene from rooster and either brown gene or blue gene from hen. So 1/2 should lay brown and 1/2 should lay green.
Thank!
So they will have that ear muff on them? I can't see anything yet, they are just day old, I'm going to put them with other chicks. Wondering if I should mark them or I could tell them from their ears in the future. I'm going to rehome them in future so I need to tell their new owners who their parents are.

I hatched some green eggs from my easter eggers, I got some white birds (my easter eggers are black or blue). I think that's from my light sussex rooster. So I would get a white bird with muff on their ears? What should I call them? And what color of eggs shall I get from the hens (if they grow up to be hens)?

You should be in the same boat as far as what color eggs they will lay. Sussex carries two brown egg genes also.
Hard to say what they will look like since EEs are mixed breed and it would be unsure what the mix is.
You can call them anything but they are just mix breed chickens. Ive never been a fan of giving mix breeds some fancy or funny name. I dont mind mixes but not fond of trying to make them seem like something more then they are.

And also, what's the potential egg laying ability of these mixed? My eater eggers lay more than 5 eggs a week. The sussex rooster, the hen hatched from the same batch of egg with him lay almost every day. So will the new hen lay about 6 eggs every week?

Last edited:
They call easter egger and delaware cross delawegger. So maybe I should call mine light sussegger? I know that an easter egger crossed with copper maran will lay olive eggs. But sussex lay light brown eggs, so not sure if their egg color will be mixed. Maybe you can call yours Wyandottegger and make it red Wyandottegger or other according to the appearance of the chicken.

Haha I like it! Wyandotteggers. I'm excited to see how they turn out. Since moms are EE's I don't really know what to expect color wise..
Thank you! This is what I needed to know.

EEs usually have one gene for muffs and one gene for no muff.
Neither of you alls roosters have a muff gene so in theory half would be muffed and half wouldnt.
EEs are two breeds crossed then youre crossing them with a third breed so the chicks will be getting genes from a few breeds so hard to nail down much about what they will be.
With both you are breeding to brown egg layers without muffs so you chicks are getting further away from having muffs and laying colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom