Easter Eggers: hen or roo?

sgtsalt79

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
These are my 10 week old Easter Eggars. I could use some help sexing them because we suspect the red and the gray are roos and we have someone who is interested in taking them but I don't want to give them away until we are sure. You also see a picture of a supposed Easter egger that came from the same hatch but looks nothing like the others. The color is typical of EEs but not the head shape? Is it a cross? Any help is appreciated! :)
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

The red on the right in the first picture and the gray in the second both look like roos. EEs are crosses, so they can really look like anything depending on what breeds were used in the mix.

Here is a clearer shot of the red one. We think its a roo but is it certain enough that we can give him away?

These are my 10 week old Easter Eggars. I could use some help sexing them because we suspect the red and the gray are roos and we have someone who is interested in taking them but I don't want to give them away until we are sure. You also see a picture of a supposed Easter egger that came from the same hatch but looks nothing like the others. The color is typical of EEs but not the head shape? Is it a cross? Any help is appreciated! :)
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

100% boy

100% boy

Here's our mystery bird. EE or mix?

Definitely a girl

Here's our mystery bird. EE or mix?
I agree with the others about the cockerels, above.

This little pullet is an EE, in what's probably the most common female EE color pattern.

As far as her breeding, there's really no such thing as an "EE mix--" EEs are, by definition, mixed breeds, so saying "EE mix" is like saying "mutt mix." The only thing different about an EE vs. any other mutt chicken is the presence of the blue egg gene. An EE that lays a green egg has blue egg genes and genes for a brown egg coating. You can cross an EE with another breed, and only some of the offspring will be EEs, because only some of the offspring will inherit the blue egg gene. (Unless you cross with an Ameraucana, Araucana, or some other blue egg laying breed, of course. If you do that, your next generation will be all EEs, too.)

Your pullet has a pea comb, which follows the blue egg gene almost all of the time. She will most likely lay a green or blue egg, but there is also a small chance she'll lay a brown egg, too.

Back
Top Bottom