Easter eggers? Maybe not.

Sandy, Art and Splash all have classic EE looks. Pea combs, muffs, wild-type colors, dark legs.
Hatchery EE aren't usually solid black (I've never seen one, anyway). But they could have an EE parent. Raven looks to have maybe a rose comb? It's hard to say from the pic. Crow looks like he could easily have EE blood with the pea comb and muffs. Owl doesn't have any classic EE signs.

They all look like cockerels to me. The only one I'm not positive on is Sandy, but that comb looks like a triple row to me.

Yeah I was afraid of that. I think somebody culled the their hatches of what they suspected were male. I never thought they would all be male when I bought them :-( no way I can keep 7 roosters lol

When I see chickens at my local livestock auction, I always ask myself "why would the seller be bringing these birds here?" maybe your auction gets a better price than ours, but here I can get a lot more selling hens on CL than they go for at the auction. So I always assume juvenile birds are cockerels, and hens are older, spent birds.

Well this is a specialty auction "odd and unusual" so I guess I really didn't think it through. But I will definitely be employing that tactic in the future. Hopefully I can manage to kep 1 or 2. We will see how they feather out and temperments etc. Maybe I'll luck out with a ouple of hens :)

Update:: still not sure on some genders here but it sure is fun to watch them grow. here are updates on Sandy, art and Owl, Art I'm sure is a Cockerel but I'm still not sure on Sandy, just wanted to post for comparison :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom