1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Miracle today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelidei, Apr 21, 2012.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I just had a true Easter miracle... I have a hen in my garage right now because she was being picked on by her friends...I have been waiting for her to heal and then am going to put her back where she belongs... well about 3 weeks ago I thought she escaped because I could not find her. One day while doing some cleaning I found her under a hutch I use for hatchlings... she was sitting on a pile of eggs. Now this breed is not known for being broody or for being outstanding mothers but she has hatched 4 babies. I have been keeping an eye on her and her babies and she seemed to be doing good. This morning I went to run errands. When I got back a couple hours later she was sitting watching the little ones eat... I counted three... I panicked... where was the little cutie pie... my favorite... and then I saw him/her... laying lifeless on the floor a foot or so away... I picked it up and it was floppy, ice cold and unresponsive.... awwwwwwwww man... I was upset!! well, I had to put my groceries away so I just popped it into the incubator with my goose eggs... Maybe it was severely hypothermic... I finished what I was doing and when I checked s/he was gasping several times a minute (agonal breathing for those medically inclined). So I figure well... might as well leave the baby there... I went back about 45 minutes later and it was breathing normally and starting to move... I picked it up mixed some warm water and electrolytes and took a syringe and dripped a few drops carefully on its beak... it swallowed the water... YAY! So back in the incubator... I was just vacuuming and when I stopped I heard this very feeble peep! peep! I look and it is sitting on its haunches, eyes open peeping... I have renamed my little chick... Lazarus :)[​IMG]

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Hoping for a full recovery! [​IMG]

3. BackyardCoop

BackyardCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Awesome story! I hope it does well!

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    Awesome story!! Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

5. newchknlvr

newchknlvr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Carthage, Ny
    Thats a great story!!! Hoping for a full recovery!!

6. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    What a great story!!! Quick thinking. Please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by