Easter Photo Shoot with my Grandchickens

Wry neck is a lot different than crooked feet. At hatch this baby couldn’t walk, there would have been no way for it to eat or drink unassisted. Its head was firmly stuck laying in its back staring up at the sky. At birth it almost got trampled. I would have had to isolate it from the others, and give round the clock care. Thankfully something happened and it corrected on its own in those first 12 hours. But I would not have been able to accommodate a high needs chick to that degree.
I’m not saying that they are in fact anywhere near the same. I’m just saying jumping to culling right away isn’t always the correct option either

I’m not saying that they are in fact anywhere near the same. I’m just saying jumping to culling right away isn’t always the correct option either
Well I didn’t cull right away because it’s still alive lol. I’ve never had to cull a chick before and trust me it was not a decision we were making lightly. The severity of her condition at birth was disturbing and we did not want her to suffer.

This photo shoot is so cute! Thank you for sharing, this honestly made my day.
They’re all so precious 🥺 :jumpy

Amaraucanas are some of my favorite chickens ever! Such a sweet and gentle breed. Also beautiful eggs as well. I hope the best for all of them! That’s crazy about wry neck, I didn’t know that was even a condition! (To be fair though, I’ve never incubated eggs). It’s amazing that she’s alright.

Back
Top Bottom