Easter Rant.

AmyLM

Songster
8 Years
Dec 28, 2011
Buckley washington
Yesterday I got an email... Perhaps you might understand why I got annoyed! *posted for your enjoyment*

1st message I received:

"I would love two chicks for my children on Easter in April =) Please let me know if you have any tiny yellow ones for Easter. Thank you!" (minus their name and number of course)

My reply:

"Hi

I tried to give you a call but I didn't get an answer. I would like to clarify your message: Are you wanting to give your kids a toy chick for Easter or are you wanting to have chickens for meat/eggs? I don't sell chicks as toys. For this reason I wont have any 'tiny yellow ones' just in time for Easter. If your interested in keeping chickens for their eggs or meat I can help you.. but not if its just to have your kids play with and then dispose of. This wasn't sent to upset you but merely to clarify what your looking for. "

Their reply to my message:

"No I wanted to get them chicks as "pets". Never said toys. And yes I plan on keeping them until they die of old age. We have a backyard for them and everything they would need. But I will take my business else where."

(SERIOUSLY doubt that... lets get real here....esp since unless you live outside of city limits like me you cant have chickens here)

My response:

"First and foremost: I'm not in the chicken 'business.' I'm a simple hobbyist and I don't make money off of my chickens. And I'm quite sure you can imagine what comes to my mind when I receive a message wanting two 'tiny little yellow chicks' for their kids for Easter. It causes alarm bells to go off for me because I care for the welfare of my birds. If I was in the chick 'business' I wouldn't care and I would just simply chuck two day old chicks at anyone with money. If you don't want anyone asking clarification... just go to the feed stores and get your chicks, they care about money and nothing else."

And the last message from them:

"That's exactly how I feel. Sorry I asked. Have a good day!"

Shall I take that to mean you don't want people to find out that you only want to give your kids a live toy to then have die from your lack of ability to care for it or desire to deal with an adult chicken... I think so. This is why I screen people. Seriously now... lets get real here.

somad.gif

smack.gif

Last edited:
I would have told them i did not have any sense you are not in the chicken business. would have saved you alot of trouble e-mailing back and forth for nothing.

exactly! The whole reason I screen people is to avoid the 'pets as toys' thing. if they really were back yard chicken people they wouldn't have phrased anything the way they did. "little yellow ones" wouldn't have been in their list of vocabulary ;)

I would have asked her if she had a heatlamp , what she planned to feed the chicks. She did sound like she was planning on keeping them. This is the time to teach people what chicks need to live.

I got me first chicks fron Tractor Supply and as I was learning how to care for them it was the first and I mean first time I had chicks two died right off the bat and I was very sad and thinking I did something wrong but I saw (not sure if it was this one or another message board) someone else had problems with chicks from Tractor Supply. I really didn't know what I was getting into but I learned as I went along. After having the chicks I went back to just see what they had and I heard the parents and the kids and the parents saying about getting chicks for the kids and I thought YOU DON'T know what you are getting into.

I thought I would have them for a short time I was thinking in 6 to 8 weeks I would be killing them all and they would be big enough to put on the table, they would be in the small container and then a big dog box and they would be big enoguh to kill well........... this was not so my husband said they will out grow all and they need a place to be and we had to build a small enclosure to have them and then once this happened my husband decided we were to keep them for eggs I was good on this but I had no idea they grow so slowly and that what the chickens in the market grow faster and I thought this is how mine would grown BUT they are given stuff to grow that you get in the store.

I have learned a lot about this and found how much I DIDN'T KNOW. And as I hear the kids say about wanted a chick a duckling for a pet I cringe thinking of how this poor animal will be squeesed to death since they don't know how to hold a chick and the strength they have.

Do you ask how old the kids are to.

Rhayden

I dont get it..
What exactly did the person do that was wrong??
They wanted some chicks for Easter, for pets for her kids... whats wrong with that? :confused:
She said she planned on keeping them not getting rid of them after Easter.. (which isnt a big deal either, as long as she finds them good homes,..its no different than you selling baby chicks that you hatch out....)..
I got my chickens for "pets" also.. :)
I'm sorry, but i would have taken my business elsewhere also,. and spread the word too..
Just being honest,. not trying to offend.. :oops:

She wanted to get two cute little fuzzy yellow chicks to give to her kids for Easter. I can quite easily speculate that they had no intention of keeping them or doing right by them. If she had wanted to keep chickens long term she wouldn't have said so in her first message and wouldn't have gotten so defensive when I question what she wants them for. She wanted two chicks with ZERO questions asked. That should raise a few red flags with people.

Frankly, I think she just got annoyed that I wasn't going to just sell her cute little fluffy yellow chicks so she can stick them in her kids Easter basket for a photo op with no intention of dealing with them in the long term. Like a previous poster said.... they may be cute and fluffy at one day old... but people get them on impulse with little thought of what will happen in a few weeks, months, or years. If she HAD be interested in keeping chickens as backyard pets she would have said so in her first message.

A responsible breeder of person re-homing any kind of animal needs to ask some BASIC questions. And as I said in my messages to her: If she had the intent of using them for eggs/meat I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

I posted this to help people to be aware that this time of year there are people who think they need to have chicks to celebrate Easter.... unfortunately once the holiday is over.... what happens to those chicks?

Last edited:
A lot of people jump into keeping chickens without thinking things through properly. I only hope that if she did decide to buy the chicks from elsewhere, they are being well cared for!

Back
Top Bottom