EasterEgger sneezing and wheezing

Rosetatt

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2022
Easter egger has always had a dirty behind. Being a first time chick mom I thought nothing about it. In October she started wheezing really loud. I consulted a vet on Just Answers and I gave her trifan for worms, an antibiotic for an URI and a hydration supplement. Eventually she got well all symptoms gone. I was excited for Dec when I could start keeping her eggs to eat. Lord and behold. Everything is back to old symptoms. In between she had a molt. No more poop in her butt however the wheezing is continuos. It started with sneezing/squeaking. I started her on VetRX and now her wheezing is continuous. I don’t know what to do… she’s eating well and pooping fine…

Last edited:
Can you check to see if her lower belly below the vent is enlarged, or seems full of fluid or something solid? Sometimes the poop won’t clear the bottom if it sticks out due to water belly or internal laying. What are you feeding? Probiotics in the diet might help clear up her runny poops. Did she get symptoms after a new chicken came in the flock? What antibiotic did the vet use in October? Have you seen any bubbles in her eyes, swollen eyelids, or nasal drainage?

I did not mention earlier. The wheezing bird, Sveny, was purchased over 2 years ago with another EE, Diva. They’ve always been together and produced beautiful blue eggs. Only Sveny had the dirty butt for as long as I can remember. When she started wheezing toward the end of September the meds were started for both. Except the Trifan I only gave it to Sveny.

She got well after treatment. No sneezing, no wheezing, no poopy butt.

The sneezing/squeaking started 1.5 weeks ago with no wheezing. The wheezing started this week when I started the VETRX.

Last edited:
Can you check to see if her lower belly below the vent is enlarged, or seems full of fluid or something solid? Sometimes the poop won’t clear the bottom if it sticks out due to water belly or internal laying. What are you feeding? Probiotics in the diet might help clear up her runny poops. Did she get symptoms after a new chicken came in the flock? What antibiotic did the vet use in October? Have you seen any bubbles in her eyes, swollen eyelids, or nasal drainage?
Lower belly is fine. No bubbles in her eyes, no swollen eyelids or nasal drainage. She just finished molting and has a beautiful new set of feathers. She is not currently laying eggs. The antibiotic is oxytetracycline soluble powder. I gave her 2.25 tsp per gallon of water. Both Easter Eggers got the meds because I had no way to keep them separate..

Last edited:
Age? Diet?
Any new bird?
My two older EE are 2 yrs old; Diva and Sveny. Sveny is the sick one. They eat layer crumbles.
I do have 2 new pullets that I keep apart and are not fully immersed with my two older ones. They see each other when free ranging in the yard.

My two older EE are 2 yrs old; Diva and Sveny. Sveny is the sick one. They eat layer crumbles.
I do have 2 new pullets that I keep apart and are not fully immersed with my two older ones. They see each other when free ranging in the yard.
Hopefully it's just stridor but there is a chance it could be a respiratory issues from the new birds.

I gave her trifan for worms, an antibiotic for an URI and a hydration supplement. Eventually she got well all symptoms gone. I was excited for Dec when I could start keeping her eggs to eat. Lord and behold. Everything is back to old symptoms. In between she had a molt. No more poop in her butt however the wheezing is continuos. It started with sneezing/squeaking. I started her on VetRX and now her wheezing is continuous.
Is her crop emptying overnight?

Back
Top Bottom