Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I tried once in my LG and had a horrible hatch. I could have done something wrong or it could have been that batch of eggs. I brought my humidity up to 45% at lockdown, so maybe I drowned them.
hu.gif

Quote:
I tried once in my LG and had a horrible hatch. I could have done something wrong or it could have been that batch of eggs. I brought my humidity up to 45% at lockdown, so maybe I drowned them.
hu.gif

Id say that was the case, I was told never above 30% with 50 eggs

Well, that is a good hatch rate... I have only a 7 egg incubator and follow the watering instructions, I usually don't candle the eggs ever... and I always get 4 or more to hatch, and I usually open the eggs that don't hatch and usually every single one is an early quitter... I guess it's one of those things "to each their own"...
hu.gif

Quote:
hu.gif

I was going to try that as well...but I had heard to let it go as high as it can on day 18. Now im nervous I will drown them? I figured I would keep it between 25-35 day 1-17.

Quote:

I was going to try that as well...but I had heard to let it go as high as it can on day 18. Now im nervous I will drown them? I figured I would keep it between 25-35 day 1-17.

That's what worked best for me. When I went to 45 from those numbers I was fine. I guess it was just too big a jump for a dry hatch. Actually, the best hatch I had was from my broody OEGB. You could keep your cochin girl and not bother with the bator at all!

Quote:

That's what worked best for me. When I went to 45 from those numbers I was fine. I guess it was just too big a jump for a dry hatch. Actually, the best hatch I had was from my broody OEGB. You could keep your cochin girl and not bother with the bator at all!

Or i could get Nella over for a visit and throw every hen I own broody
smile.png

Quote:
HAHA!!! Those are expensive!
smile.png
You're such an enabler!
tongue.png
but as of right now just looking for some inexpensive laying hens, all my egg costumers are going to mob me for eggs here soon...
hide.gif
all I have is the one leghorn that's laying, and once my BLRWs start laying eggs they will be hatching eggs mostly.

Quote:

That's what worked best for me. When I went to 45 from those numbers I was fine.

I do dry hatches all the time in my Brinsea. It's in the basement, where the ambient humidity is high enough for basic development. I add water towards the end, and any time I open the bator to remove a set of hatchlings.

During incubation I only add water if we've had several really dry days in a row or if the aircells are too large. Really small aircells mean the humidity is too high, and you need to remove all water from the wells for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom