Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giant Dewlap and Non-dewlap Toulouse Geese in Grey. I really love these guys. We also have a Canadian who we had to get a special permit to have here. I had some African Greys, but man they were noisey and mean as snot. My Toulouses are sweet, and act like lap dogs. If you can get past the huge piles of goose poo (I slip and slide through the yard sometimes), then Geese are for you. lol

Yeah they are a sweeter breed. I have been around geese often at various points in my life and they are one of those breeds that is more prone to being nicer. I'll have to remember you when I want some. lol. I used to have my heart set on Cotton Patch but I was turned off when I talked about them to a APA judge and he told me that most are "faked". So, as with many other expensive "it" breeds (you know, the hot breed of the season) I'm scared that there are more people with fakes than with real good specimens.

I knew a African once... she was sweet, but someone shot her. (she was at a local park) I am still sad over that... I fed her feed out of my hand. (back when the economy was better I'd feed the domestic waterfowl breeds in the winter 50# bags of feed to help them out)

I can tell its late. I'm rambling.

I have been researching different breeds regarding flight. I was interested in bantam breeds only that would be less likely to fly out of my yard. I am leaning toward cochin and d'uccle, any thoughts?

Since the topic of flying came up, I have a question. I want to fence in our backyard with 5 ft fencing mostly to keep any dogs out so that my chickens can free range comfortably but I also don't want my chickens bothering neighbors so I thought about clipping a wing with a five foot fence. Do you think that would be sufficient to keep EE's and Black Aussies in?

Or is there a reason that clipping one of their wings would be a no no?

I may not be the smartest person in the world, but I still enjoy learning.
The only thing is I want to learn from people that ACTUALLY know what they are talking about.
We have had many members on this page that have extensive knowledge of the animals we raise.

There are also a couple that do not even seem to know that a chicken is a type of fowl.
These people seem to just want to stir up trouble.

I would advise all the newer members to be careful whom you take advice from.
Incorrect advice can sometime cause worse damage than the original issue.

I have a very low tolerance to "know it all's" that really do not know anything.
I have never claimed to know much, but I have always tried to give the best advice
based on what I have experienced in raising chickens, and try to learn more about our hobby.
I have NEVER been afraid to admit that my advice is NOT the best but it is what I have to offer.

The staff is a really good group of people that run this site.
I have NO issues with them and I hope they do not have issues with me.
The good people that run this site have rules in place to protect the members of this web site.

I have NOT been asked to by the staff.
I, however am afraid that I must also bow out, at least for a while.

If you need to reach me,
E-Mail: [email protected]
Phone: 865-696-7687
Web Site: www.talbottpoultry.weebly.com

I thank each and everyone of you for your time and your friendship.

I have been researching different breeds regarding flight. I was interested in bantam breeds only that would be less likely to fly out of my yard. I am leaning toward cochin and d'uccle, any thoughts?
I have both, and enjoy them both. My Cochins are really docile, but so are my Speckled Sussex. In my honest opinion, if you want something that is less likely to fly out of your yard, I'd go with the Cochins or Silkies.

I don't clip wings. There are people who do, but I do not like how they look. It can also leave them without much chance to get away from predators.

Even though I do not talk much, I do read this forum. I will miss the guys who are leaving.

Well, one of our silver laced wyandottes got froggy yesterday and decided the dogs weren't scary. She just took her little tail right up to one and he got her. This just confirms my theory that my birds are brain damaged. After a whole year, why would she be so stupid? It makes me sad because I loved her. Her name was Lou Lou. (I put that in orange since she had the orange leg band on) And she was putting out eggs!!!!!

Tommy has two kennels that he needs to put dogs inside, and he's suppose to be building kennels with a run for the dogs. He needs to get on it....I am finding however, that the longer I have the chickens, the less emotional I am about losing one. When my rooster died, you would have thought one of my children had been shot. When Lou Lou died, I didn't feel anything. So does this mean that I am less obsessed or I'm learning to treat them more like chickens and less like pets?

On a funny note, our little pyreneese puppy is loving the guineas. He follows them around like he's suppose to be playing follow the leader.

And I"M READY FOR SPRING!

Well, one of our silver laced wyandottes got froggy yesterday and decided the dogs weren't scary. She just took her little tail right up to one and he got her. This just confirms my theory that my birds are brain damaged. After a whole year, why would she be so stupid? It makes me sad because I loved her. Her name was Lou Lou. (I put that in orange since she had the orange leg band on) And she was putting out eggs!!!!!

Tommy has two kennels that he needs to put dogs inside, and he's suppose to be building kennels with a run for the dogs. He needs to get on it....I am finding however, that the longer I have the chickens, the less emotional I am about losing one. When my rooster died, you would have thought one of my children had been shot. When Lou Lou died, I didn't feel anything. So does this mean that I am less obsessed or I'm learning to treat them more like chickens and less like pets?

On a funny note, our little pyreneese puppy is loving the guineas. He follows them around like he's suppose to be playing follow the leader.

And I"M READY FOR SPRING!
lol I cried for a week when Hubbie's game rooster got loose and killed my little OEGB Silver Duckwing Roo. I had him for a few years. Then when a person was walking their dog down our road and it killed my ducks, I cried. Then when someone brought a GSD here b/c they thought it was ours, and it wiped out my barn, just about. I was ******. I have been wiped out a few times, mostly from dogs. I am really crazy about it now.
Lady up the road was walking with her husband and two of their 20 or so dogs down the road. They were loose and not on leashes. The ran into my yard at full blast and I came out the door yelling NO NO BAD DOG! Yelled at them to keep the dogs out of my yard. I am sure I could have handled it differently. Shoot, I know I could have. I am just tired of spending a huge amount of money to get new birds b/c someone else thinks it is great for their dogs to run loose. I also happen to really love and like each bird on my property.
We bought a Boxer one year for my youngest daughter for Christmas. He was 10wks old when she took him out one day to go potty and he proceeded to eat my young Polish and Turkeys like they were Snausages. Ugh dogs... We re homed him and found a Great Pyrenees pup who was raised around chickens and ducks. At 6 months old she busted through our bathroom window to maul our Ducks.

I don't cry now, but that does not mean I am less obsessed or that it does not hurt me. I just think you get desensitized to the mayhem.

I started out last dog out with the Geese, at a younger age. I supervised. I know.... KNOW... she will never get within 5 feet of them without watching them closely. Geese have a way of putting things in their place.

I have a dog and she is almost 10 years old she has never been around chickens ever. Then last year was her first year around them. She does not bother them. But if they bother her like peck or chase her she will eat them. She is my guard dog and she keeps them safe from anything. I am glade I don't have to worry about anything happening to my chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom