Easy Chicken Coop Roosting Perch Option With Poo Catcher

matchmeadeinheaven

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
Franklin, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I was so happy when I recently finished our She Shed Chicken Coop for Laura. We posted our construction and plans on this site also in a past contest. She showed me multiple ideas on roosting perch options and some of them are captured in BackYard Chickens site. We always recommend check out the site first, but you already know this :). When we looked at the wood inventory on hand we chose to build this simple design. It was simple to make with some 2×4’s, 2×2’s, and a skill saw. I assembled it with a drill and wood screws. What I like most about it is the easy way to catch the poo that quickly accumulates overnight as they roost. Excuse our laziness, but for more details check out website post if interested https://matchmeadeinheaven.info/easy-chicken-coop-roosting-perch-option/

DIY Simple Chicken Coop Roosting Perch_Thumbnail.jpg

Nice job getting the roosts 'level'.
But are the nests higher than the roosts...any trouble with them sleeping in the nests??
Couldn't see it very clearly but not sure poops will go thru the netting over poop bins.

Nice job getting the roosts 'level'.
But are the nests higher than the roosts...any trouble with them sleeping in the nests??
Couldn't see it very clearly but not sure poops will go thru the netting over poop bins.
You are spot on aart the roosts a lower than the 3 nesting boxes in the video and yes we have a couple of top of the pecking line hens that sleep in them. This is problematic because they poop in them. The only reason why I have not dealt with this yet is we another set of nesting boxes in the coop now and they primarily use them instead of these. Let us know if you disagree but the reason is they pursue the "highest" point and with the nesting boxes being that point they sleep in them (the couple on the top of the pecking order).

Back
Top Bottom