Easy self feeder for a small coop. (pics included)

rmnancygirl, great use of what you had available!!!! I love your modifications, they worked well for your parts and tools.

I made like a 3'x 2' rectangle out of 2x4s, cut a 2'x3' foot piece of plywood for the bottom. Set a 50 gallon plastic garbage can on top, with a hole cut out of the bottom of the garbage can (hole near the edge). I then put another 2' 2x4 in the 3'x2' rectangle, just before the hole in the can, as a divider.

1 1
1Garbage1
1 can 1
1 1
1 1
1_____ 1
- hole inbottom
3x2 foot square box, with plywood bottom, with a 2x4 divider. The garbage can sits on the top of the box. Grain comes out the right side of the divider (under the hole) as the chickens eat it. The left part of the box is only used to support the garbage can. I have mine setting on a log, because the litter is deep.

The dimensions are not exact, just a guess. Whatever works as to set a 50 gallon can on, with a divider (so the grain stays in the front).

coolcanoechic - that is low maintenance and Beautiful. I got tired of my old tired looking one and got rid of the wood trough and use this now.

Can you post a picture of the exterior portion, please? That's a pretty cool concept.

I only have a couple of birds right now, but when I built my coop, I incorporated this feeder inside the wall between the 2 x 4 verticals. It fills from a little door on the outside of the coop. It goes for a very, very long time before refills. The tray is removable for ocasional cleaning. I thought it might be fun to share a picture.

108647_coop_finished_013.jpg

You have to be very careful using containers that you leave filled for a month (even less) with food If all that food is exposed to moisture fungus and/or bacteria starts to grow. You will have a real problem.Find time to add fresh food on a regular basis (can't take the microbiologist out of the girl)

Can you post a picture of the exterior portion, please? That's a pretty cool concept.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I had lost track of this thread. If you look at my coop page, you can see a small door in the wall just above and to the right of the poop deck. a good sized scoop fits into it easily. I have only had to add feed once since October. I love this feeder. It stays clean and the girls took to it immediately.
The door stays closed with magnets. The kind you might use on your kitchen cabinets.

You have to be very careful using containers that you leave filled for a month (even less) with food If all that food is exposed to moisture fungus and/or bacteria starts to grow. You will have a real problem.Find time to add fresh food on a regular basis (can't take the microbiologist out of the girl)

Because the feeder is located in an interior wall of the coop, it is never exposed to any kind of moisture from the outside and the food stays very dry. However.....point taken! I will be sure to keep a watchful eye on the feed for any sign of fungus or bacteria.

I like all these ideas but the PVC is my favorite since im A what- if- the- sky- falls- chicken- little- person... somehow i keep thinking they say if you get mites you have to use the pesticide on everything wooden as they like to go in cracks so that makes me leery of the wooden feeders even though great idea
.Plus if you DID somehow get the feed wet in wooden wall. etc.....guh what a mess
So PVC seems the best in all areas and VERY BEST it takes up so little space. !!My tractors are 2 x4 x 2 so really VERY little space for feeders
I even saw one version that the pipe was on the outside wall and came in at the bottom so just the container is inside not even the pipe

Back
Top Bottom