Easy suggestions to insulate coop

OK, you said you didn't want to cut any more plywood, but I see no plywood there?
What are you going to do for a roof?
I scavenged some large plywood pieces to complete to coop. 2 doors, 2 nesting box covers, and roof. I did purchase some plastic roofing to go over that, I was just concerned it wasn’t strong enough to save the hens from falling branches or snow alone.

It's cute! BUT, I don't see any framing for a roof, for support, slope, and snow load. More pictures?
Mary
Yes a slope is planned in the front to send snow and rain behind the coop. Hopefully some more weather to help us finish this project!
Thanks everyone for your interest and advice! More work and photos as soon as I can manage.

This is what I did. This is an expansion, basically doubling my original coop. I placed the foam sheathing with the foil on the top side. Funny, I just noticed I use two different brands LOL.

Attachments

• 20200208_112207.jpg
    20200208_112207.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200208_112145.jpg
    20200208_112145.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 23
What’s the benefit of insulating the roof? Isn’t any air going out the vents anyway?
aart is right. Summers are mid 90's - 100° and coops can turn into ovens quick (hmmmm😏🤭)
Hence the aluminum to reflect sun, and foam board, reflective side up. It's always 10-15° cooler in there.
I hadn't seen that done anywhere I just made it up.

aart is right. Summers are mid 90's - 100° and coops can turn into ovens quick (hmmmm😏🤭)
Hence the aluminum to reflect sun, and foam board, reflective side up. It's always 10-15° cooler in there.
I hadn't seen that done anywhere I just made it up.
Yes. Makes sense. Do you think it’s still necessary if their coop is in the shade? As in the shadiest part of the yard under many fir trees.

Back
Top Bottom