Easy Teenager Tote Coop!

lbgreenfield

Songster
Jul 19, 2019
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Hi there - We have six teenager chicks that are about 8 weeks old that are ready to leave the brooder and head into their teenager coop! We have a large run for our adult flock (16ft x 24ft for five adult hens) so we have divided that in half for our meet-n-greet phase until our teenagers become full size. My husband got a scrap pass from work for an old water tote, so he refurbished it into our teenager coop with a 2x4 roost and complete with pull string “drawbridge” door (haha). We plan on using pine shavings for bedding and I’ll add in our mobile nesting box once they get a little older. This was an easy, economical way to make a transition coop so I wanted to share with everyone:)
DFAACFD3-B0BC-4655-95EF-9F3B1158CF71.jpeg
7A5ADE18-5A09-4DE9-AA4C-FD525A3ACAB7.jpeg
96E2316B-1561-48E0-90A9-850739753F78.jpeg

Where is the ventilation?
Why don't you just partition a section of the coop and start integrating then now?
Integration can begin as soon as they are fully feathered at 6 weeks.
Hi there - the black lid on the top of the tote is a vent and we have a window cut in the back of the tote (not pictured). Plus, we are only going to close up the tote coop when the weather gets bad, otherwise the door will remain open.

For integrating our teenagers, there is no way to partition our coop so that the man door can still fully open to allow me to go inside to clean/collect eggs.

We haven't started sooner because of time. We both work long hours and on weekends so we just haven't had time to build the tote coop until now. The teenagers get plenty of time out of the brooder when we are home in a mobile tractor pen!

It is very cute and clever. I have a couple of concerns about it but I don't want to sound discouraging. It may be that you have already considered and addressed these issues. First, if this is to be the chick's only shelter, will it be in a protected area? Shaded from sun so it won't overheat, and from rain? Second, it's hard to determine dimensions, so I am wondering if it will be big enough for six birds for very long. Perhaps that won't really matter, as they'll be mixing with your other birds before they outgrow it. It really is very creative! 😊 Let me welcome you to BYC :frow and encourage you to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Enjoy your chicken adventure!

It is very cute and clever. I have a couple of concerns about it but I don't want to sound discouraging. It may be that you have already considered and addressed these issues. First, if this is to be the chick's only shelter, will it be in a protected area? Shaded from sun so it won't overheat, and from rain? Second, it's hard to determine dimensions, so I am wondering if it will be big enough for six birds for very long. Perhaps that won't really matter, as they'll be mixing with your other birds before they outgrow it. It really is very creative! 😊 Let me welcome you to BYC :frow and encourage you to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Enjoy your chicken adventure!
Hi there - thanks for your concerns and replies. To answer your questions:
Yes it will be there only shelter within our fully fenced run that is 16ft by 32ft with a tarp roof overhead. There are other areas that they can go to hide or get out of the weather other than the tote coop (log jungle gym, covered dirt bath “beach”, dog house). This will be temporary living quarters until they are as big as our existing flock. Then they will go into our big, Amish made coop. I’m anticipating them being in the tote coop for only one or two months. The tote itself is 4ft wide by 4ft tall by 4 ft in length.

Thanks. They may end up being a bit cramped by the time they get fully grown, then, so just watch for behavioral issues like pecking, or anyone being reluctant to go in at night as they get older. Good luck and enjoy your chooks!

Thanks. They may end up being a bit cramped by the time they get fully grown, then, so just watch for behavioral issues like pecking, or anyone being reluctant to go in at night as they get older. Good luck and enjoy your chooks!
You're welcome! I've been spending at least 1 hour with the new chicks every morning and evening before/after work, and will definitely be keeping an eye out for behavioral problems or pecking.

Back
Top Bottom