Easy way to raise chickens

Quote:
I don't think the OP means to make anyone sound foolish. I think it is reasonable to point out that possibly some of the many problems people have with their chickens are due to free ranging and maybe even CARING. Obviously the OP doesn't have issues and problems because he culls if he does. If treating our chickens as pets is foolish, there are a lot of fools around here, me being one of them!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I won't use a wormer unless absolutely necessary. Nor did I use medicated feed for for my very first chicks. I prefer natural methods to keep the immune system strong, same as I do with my dogs. If necessary, I have cocci medication but it is a last resort. Way too many chemicals used - way too many.
That is the reason I wanted chickens in the first place - to provide my family and my dogs with healthy eggs and meat. Nothing healthy about routine poisoning.
So, I disagree with your idea of healthy. But as previous folk have stated...to each their own.
wink.png

Quote:
Foremost-people come to BYC because of their concern for chickens-whether they're meat or pets: as in caring the right way, culling a painless way, diseases, etc.

If I was a chicken, I would love to spend my 1-2 years of life out in the sun, have a secure coop, nest, good food and a flock to belong to vs: in a cage or packed into a warehouse until I slow down producing eggs, or get fat enough, then death.

This statement alone has dramatically changed the way I feel about processing and hunting, too. Yet I can't process chickens .

My chickens are pets. I've learned that I have a duty to them to not let them suffer and cull. Breaks my heart, but I do it. I guess my limit in nursing a chicken back to health would be whether I had to tube feed or syringe feed 'em for more than a day. After that, it just gets too sad .

JoePa, what's the smiley face and hearts mean?

I just want to clear up some misunderstanding about my method of raising chickens - first I give my chickens treats, short grass clippin, greens from my vegtable garden .etc - I also give them meat scraps, cooked oatmeal, yogurt .etc - they also get good commerical feed - so basiclly they eat everything a freeing chickens eats and better - only they are not subjected to bugs which often have parasites, they don't eat poison plants or plastic and other things are not healthy for them - they don't have to worry about predators either - so you see they live a very good life as long as they are healthy without needing to get all kinds of medicines - the only thing a free ranging chicken has what mine don't is the ability to walk around the yard - now some may say that the chickens like to do that - maybe so - but my chickens have never done that so they don't miss it - remember happiness is relative - having to worm a chicken and then not eat the eggs for a couple weeks isn't something I would look forward to - I really think this free-ranging thing is something that is over blown - I bet that chickens that are raised like outlined in my orginal post are healthier than any free-ranging chicken -
frow.gif

Quote:
JoePa, I don't think there is any problem with the way you raise your chickens. There is only kindness involved. You stated your method in post #1-without bashing anyone. Just sharing your method. I don't think anyone has the right to criticize you-let them start a thread about their method. This Forum is not only for those who free range their chickens, and call them pets. (like I do) But I do have respect for people who raise meat birds, or don't have pet chickens.

I got lots of flack for my own management thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129278

Everyone
does things differently. You won't find a diapered chicken in my house but I will cull for contagious illness. I do free range the flocks on a rotating basis, so they all get some time out of their pens and time to scratch around the property. I also don't worm unless I think it necessary. So there are many variations on chicken keeping styles here at BYC. Find one that suits you and doesn't infringe on someone else's enjoyment of their own flock.

Back
Top Bottom