1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Eating Banty Cochins ???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by poultrypatch, Aug 14, 2010.

1. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Songster

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    I have about 14 Banty roo Chochins and need to get rid of them. Has anybody eaten them ??? I mean, like how much meat can there be ??? Is it worth it ??
    Didn't mean to have all of these...they were part of a ST with the girls.
    Thanks
    LIZ
    MA

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Id process them up anyway-2-3 lbs each cook a bunch for dinner:)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've eaten pigeon and loved it. There has to be more meat on cochin cockerels.

4. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Songster

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    Thanks for your help. Spoke with my DIL and she and my son are coming over next wkend and taking them and will process them. Hey, I figure squabs. :))
    Liz
    MA

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    some people like a 4 piece nugget some people like a 10 piece............................ still nuggets!

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Songster

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Don't have banties but I might someday. I do have my S Buttercups though and they are not as big as advertised to say the least. I cook 2 and serve 1 for the 2 of us and sometimes get into the 2nd one.

I also now have Coturnix quail and at 6 weeks serve 3 per serving, but at 8 weeks old serve 2. So yes, they are going to be worth it. Decide how many to cook up at one time once they have been processed.

They should be real tender if still quite young. I don't think you said how old they were.

7. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Songster

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    The little guys are about 5 months old now. Should still be nice and tender. They haven't exactly been running races around the yard. Have 5 blue Silkie roos too...also from ST run. They will not be done. They're very sweet and tame. I'll just keep them as pets. Thanks for all the input !
    Boy, that's a lot of tiny little Quail to do for one meal ! LOL I have Guineas and am not going to keep anymore boys...so when these can be sexed we will be trying one of them this fall.
    Liz
    MA

8. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:this has more to do w/ age/gender/breed than w/ containment. i raise completely unconfined and have yet to have an issue w/ tenderness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: