Eating birds that have been medicated

Feather Dust

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 31, 2008
Medford,NJ
I have some chicks that I hatched. I use medicated feed for my chicks until I know which ones are hens and roos. The roos I move to a 2nd cage and feed a non medicated feed. How long do I have keep them off of the medicated feed until I can eat them? Is it safe to eat them?

Thanks in advance!!
~Feather Dust

I am using Purina Mills Start & Grow Sunfresh MP 0.0125% Medicated. I looked on the tag and I can't find anything about it on there. I feel so dumb! Maybe I'm missing it??
hu.gif

My opinion is that there is not much reason/need to medicate beyond 3 weeks, as any birds you may lose beyond that point are probably not going to die from disease.

Additionally, some states' health codes do not allow anti-biotics to be used on food animals less than X weeks before slaughter. I believe it's 4 weeks, here (Michigan), but I'm not certain. Of course, if you're slaughtering yourself, it really doesn't matter, but a month of non-medicated feed is probably not a bad idea.

My last batch of broilers was not medicated at all, and I only lost 2 out of 27 as chicks. I later lost 3 more due to the extreme heat we had last summer.

Thanks for your opinion Uncle Hoot! They are a good 3 months old. And it will be 4wks this Sunday off of the medicated food. So I guess they are almost ready.

~FD

I have a friend who is a vet, and he told me that if you are just using regular medicated feed, there is no withdrawal period, because the dosage level is so low. I have the tag from my feed bag in front of me, and it doesn't say anything about a withdrawal period. So, I would bet that at 4 weeks you are well past any need to wait.

Good luck, I am looking forward to processing the Cornish we have, and not having to worry about them any more. The RIR and the BR are so much nicer to have around.

Back
Top Bottom