Eating cake batter with duck eggs in it....

bayyjayy

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Utah
So, in my house, we LOVE raw cake batter....we all snag a spoonful before baking the cake.

Today is the first time we have made a cake with duck eggs....can we eat the batter?? Dumb question, I am sure....but, we are still wondering....

Quote:
Well can you eat it with chicken eggs?Ask that question and you will get the answere
smile.png

All eggs carry the risk of salmonella although the odds of any single egg having it are quite low. Salmonella is not something you want you or your family to have to deal with. Since I almost always err on the side of caution, my advice is to buy pasteurized eggs (or egg product since in-shell pasteurized eggs are not easy to find) if you plan to eat them raw.

LOL.....the chicken eggs I get are from the store....I have never made a cake with a fresh chicken egg, so I would wonder about that too!

I literally LOL'd!

Well, you are not supposed to eat raw eggs. However, there is no additional danger from duck eggs. Wash the shell well before cracking into the cake batter to prevent anything falling off the outside of the shell.

It's your decision about eating the raw eggs. My opinion is that home raised healthy duck eggs are much safer than store bought eggs, but the only advice I will give publicly is to not eat raw eggs.

What's the point of making cake if you can't eat the batter? Or cookies or brownies or anything else?
I make brownies just so I can eat the batter. After 34 years, I'm not sick or dead from it and it hasn't changed since going to fresh duck eggs.

Quote:
X2, i have been using fresh duck eggs for over 7 years and always eat fresh made batter never had a problem. and now in the last 2 years use fresh chicken eggs too.
big_smile.png

OH GOOD!

What is funny is....my sister used to make cake batter, eat about half or whatever she wanted, then she would cook the little bit left over for her boyfriend and his roommate. She did this quite a few times a week.

My kids and I fight over what is left in the bowl that I don't scrape very well..........it is funny to see how many times we can get our spoon around each others spoons to get the most cake batter.

I agree....WHY bake a cake, cookies, brownies....ANYTHING without eating the batter?? YUM!

Glad that you guys are telling me it is okay to eat it with duck eggs in it. I told my daughter we would use her as our guinea pig....if she didn't get sick, the rest of us would try it. She didn't clean the bowl like she usually does. LOL.

Thanks for the info.

Yum. I can't wait til mine start laying!!! I have heard that ducks eggs make wonderful frittata, and quiche!!! I love to bake, right now my house is under construction so I have no kitchen, but by the time my kitchen is finished, I should have a laying duckie yay!!!

Back
Top Bottom