Eating eggs from your own chickens?

Tylt33

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Chico, California
I didn't know what section to post this in, so I thought I'd try here. I had my first scrambled eggs from my own chickens tonight and psychologically could not handle it. I eat eggs, in very limited quantities (usually scrambled with cheese), and having eggs from my own chickens tonight put me over the edge. They tasted like eggs, but my brain was telling me not to eat them. Has anyone else experienced something like this or heard of it?

I had a moment of that as well. For me it was because i had been raised so disconnected from the *how and where* of some food production. Now, i eat them everyday, far more often than i ever did when purchasing store bought. It goes away, at least it did for me.
wink.png

Last edited:
Can't eat another store bought egg..last time I did it made me sick no lie! Everytime I walk by the eggs in the store I go Nasty eggs! I get so many weird looks
roll.png

I was raised on homegrown chicken eggs at my grandparents and store bought eggs at home, so I never really had a problem. I still dont, I enjoy both home grown and store bought... but duck eggs... let me tell you!
lol.png
My first time ever eating a duck egg, I gagged and had to struggle to get it down. Why? Good question! It was just a mental thing, now I enjoy em just like a good ol' chicken egg!

Aloha Tylt33,

I totally understand how you feel! When I had my first chicken, in 5th grade, I only ate store bought eggs. But when I finally bit the gun I was so unsure knowing "that" is where they come from. But I took the plunge and I really liked the homegrown eggs that I know had TLC put into them. I guess you can say that it is a mind over matter but all eggs are made the same way it is different to adapt to the change, at first. But I like my homegrown eggs much better and you will too.

I was a little freaked out, too, 10 years ago when I had my very first chickens. It felt like I should 'do' something besides cook them before eating. It didn't last long, though; they were so incredibly GOOD; the best eggs I have ever tasted in my life! It's such a good, wholesome kind of feeling to know I can go ou to my coop, collect eggs lain that day, and cook them up. Very satisfying, plus I know my girls have a good life while they provide me with breakfast.
thumbsup.gif

My husband's like that. He can manage the scrambled fresh eggs. But, he can't choke them down when they're over easy. As he's eating, he pictures stink bugs, and Japanese beetles, and worms, and ..... I have Eggland's Best in the fridge and I sell my fresh eggs at work.

I was raised on homegrown eggs and have had chickens most of my life so...no, but I guess I can understand how you might feel. But it would be to your advantage to get over it and quickly. Store bought eggs are really not good for you and you can get really sick if you happen to eat some raw. I eat several raw eggs every morning in my egg cream shakes that I have for breakfast. I would never do that with store bought eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom