Eating Muscovy?

Tater50

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 12, 2010
Are they good to eat & if so, what's a good recipe & proper way to cook?

Thanks Tater

My personal preference to eating duck is the Muscovy as they are very lean. I raise the Muscovies for that reason. Here are several recipes that I use for preparing the duck. I alternate between roasting and smoking them.

For roasting:

I make up a brine of
2 cups Kosher salt
3 cups sugar
1/4 cup Molasses
2 TBSP black pepper
2 TBSP Thyme
2 TBSP Rosemary
1 TBSP basil
2 TBSP garlic
1/2 of lare onion, minced
approx 8 cups of water, enough to cover the duck.

Soak the duck overnight.
place in covered roaster and bake at 325 for 3 hours.

With the drippings in the roast pan, I make a gravy using enough corn starch and water mixed to thicken the base, adding salt and pepper to taste.

For smoking:
1 1/4 cup Kosher salt
3 TBSP minced garlic
1 TBSP black pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
8 cups of water

Soak over night. Place in smoker, I use the Jack Daniels and mosquite flavor woodchips and kiawe wood in the smoker. Smoke for 4-5 hour not letting the temp. get below 180 degrees or above 220 degreees.

Generally speaking Muskovy meat is lean and gamey, should be treated in preparation more like deer or other wild animals meat than a bird meat.

If prepared and cooked correctly it is a gourmet treat, that,s why it commands such a high price.

Quote:
I have a previously frozen, now thawed, muscovy in my fridge that I'd like to make for my DH's birthday dinner tomorrow. It was brined before freezing. Could I put the duck in the marinade first thing (6:30) in the morning and pull it out just before roasting at 2 pm, or should I marinate from tonight until 2 pm?

Thanks!!

................ and Tater,
welcome-byc.gif

I always like to find posts on preparing duck.
We haven't had Muscovy yet but probably fall after we hatch some from Muscovy/Pekin cross. We actually want to cross Muscovy and several other breeds to find a tasty large bird. Everyone has their preferences on what we should breed for the best taste so this will be a fun experiment.

I think the Muscovy is the best tasting meat there is. I cut the breast off and cook them in a cast iron pan, over medium heat, skin side down for 4 minutes and then another 3 minutes skin side up. I then throw it in the oven at 350 for a couple minutes until it's rare-medium rare. (whatever you do, do not cook them past medium or they'll get tough and chewy) These times are for a drake where the breast weighs nearly a pound. For a duck whose breast usually weighs about a half pound, you can usuall skip the oven entirely. I usually put a dry rub on it before cooking. I think the marinades take away from the delicious flavor of the meat. When you make this, keep in mind that it's going to be a lot more like eating beef than chicken. Most people think that because it's a bird, it's going to be like chicken. Nothing could be farther from the truth. For the legs and wings, I braise them with garlic and onion in a duck stock made from the carcass. I usually add some porter to it as well. At the end of cooking, I'll throw some basmati rice in to soak up all of the juices. I also sometimes braise them with carrots, onion and celery with chinese 5 spice. I take any extra skin and render it in the oven and pour the fat through a coffee filter into a small jar. I use the fat for cooking eggs and potatoes.

I agree Muscovy is by far best tasting meat. I enjoy them so much ad pets I do not really raise them to eat. Although we have eaten a few extra males. They are very good eating indeed.

Scoves are very yummy and very good company. Needless to say, I have more of them as pets than in my freezer.

Back
Top Bottom