Eating Worms

kiweed

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Murfreesboro TN
TODAY I TOOK MY 3 WEEK OLD CHICKS OUT TO THE NEW COOP FOR ABOUT A 1/2 HOUR FOR THE FIRST TIME. THEY WERE CHOWING DOWN ON THE MILLION OF INCH WORMS EVERYWHERE. i AM GUESSING THIS IS GOOD. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS IS BAD OR NOT?

thumbsup.gif
YUM! Worms are a FAVORITE treat of all my girls! Make sure you get them some grit so that they can process the wormies. You can pick up a HUGE bag of sand at lowes or Home depot that would be good. Just put it into a separate container and they will use it to do their dustbaths and eat for grit.
big_smile.png

I let mine free range so i dont give them grit. hope this is ok.

they get laying pellets and cracked corn for a treat.
woot.gif

If they are free-ranging they will consume grit on their own. My girls are 4 1/2 weeks and on their 2nd day in their coop and they eat plenty of sand and tiny, tiny pebbles. They like to pick around where the rain runs off the edge of the garage. They have been finding worms on their own, eating grass and lots of wild thyme, scratching through the leaf litter. They really like the wild thyme and eating the seeds off the tops of grass that has gone to seed. It is such a delight to see them just 'being chickens'.

D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom