Eave vents for coop ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Quesse, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Quesse

Quesse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    San Diego
    Hi everyone!

So I'm brand new to keeping backyard chickens and I'm in the process of constructing a coop and run in the backyard. (Actually, it's a family friend doing the construction although I drew up the plans myself.)

I wanted to know if eave vents would provide adequate air circulation for the chickens. The coop is meant to hold about 4 chickens.
    I live in San Diego where the weather is hardly a concern besides those occasional Santa Ana winds. Is it still prudent to go with a basic rectangular opening covered in hardware cloth or would the eave vents work?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Eave vents would work, as long as there are enough of them.

3. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    I am installing eve vents as wall vents in my coop. They are much cheaper than heating/cooling vents and they are made of metal with a heavy duty wire mesh on the inside.

4. Quesse

Jun 13, 2010
    San Diego
    Wonderful! Thanks for the advice.

I should post some pics once the coop is complete! [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you have enough of them and are in a cool-summer climate they may be sufficient -- but realistically most of us need a lot more than just that, to keep the coop from overheating in summer. You will, where you are located. I would recommend extending the roof overhang on one side, and making that side of the coop all mesh. At least.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. Quesse

Jun 13, 2010
    San Diego
    Yeah, around this time of year, it can get quite hot all the way into early fall. I'm hoping since I'm fairly near the coast, that might offset some of the heat that San Diego further inland usually gets.

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I have 4 vents in each eave, moving air along the ceiling line, pulling air up inside the coop and out the ridgecap vent. I'll tell you that with 4 chickens, it is not enough ventilation. I leave them open year around. In the winter, when it gets really cold, I have to close up my gable vents and rely solely on the eave vents. It tends to get a little stinky in there, which tells me that there's just not enough ventilation. Just my experience. Now, granted, you're in San Diego (I used to live in Solana Beach) and can probably leave windows open year around, so the eave vents might have less work to do... hopefully someone with this type of ventilation system in your climate can chime in.

8. Quesse

Jun 13, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm actually just 10 minutes east of Solana Beach.

Hmm, I feel like I need to decide this now because the family friend who's been building the coop and run will probably deal with the ventilation holes tomorrow. =X

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by