Ebay hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by merry hens, Feb 18, 2009.

1. merry hens

merry hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Anyone ever gotten hatching eggs from ebay? I love looking at all the different hatching eggs being sold but am leery of having them arrive broken, or hatch into something other than I was expecting, or worse, not hatch at all.

Mary

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Wether you get eggs from here, from ebay, or from eggbid, there is always a risk. Expect a 50% hatch, which is great, although a 30-40% hatch is more realistic. If the seller doesnt pack the eggs right, you can get lots of broken eggs. its always a good idea to "not spend more than your willing to lose". Make sure that the seller has good feedback, and you know how they will wrap your eggs.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I noticed that I have better luck with folks from surrounding states.

5. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    I have bought eggs off ebay a couple times and the results were o.k. both times.I will buy off there again soon .All i have bought so far are quail eggs and they have arrived in pretty good shape with a few damaged eggs but most sellers ship extras so it has all been o.k.

6. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    we just got are eggs 0 out of 14 broke [​IMG]

7. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    What kind of chickens are you looking for? I got some off e-bay. There was not a problem with them arriving quickly or with the packaging, but with questionable product issues. I received an e-mail from a fellow that had purchased eggs from the same guy and it turns out that he told him that they might a certain type or they might not. Well, I'm sorry but when you are paying big bucks for a certain kind of chicken, that is what you want. Not just any old chicken eggs. He had a very good sales rating too.
    I have had better luck with people from this web-site or googling the kind of chicken eggs I want and ordering that way. There was no problem with the shipping though. My best batch I got 4 out of 6 and they were from Texas. [​IMG]

8. merry hens

merry hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    I know its definately better to get them from local folks. For the most part I think just about everything in the hatching eggs section of ebay I can probably get via this website, a hatchery or a local breeder, except for maybe the pheasants (red goldens) and the occasional rare breed chicken. Bobwhite eggs also seem to go in mass quantities cheap on ebay. It's just fun to try new things!

Mary

9. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    i dunno i think its all who u buy from i bought from someone on here 2 dozen and ive lost 23 of them and about to candle tonight to see if that one is still makin it

10. Hello ,
    I have bought hatching eggs off of ebay and have had very good hatch rates , it really depends on how well they are packed and what they go through during shipping i think.
    You have the same risk anywhere you order hatching eggs that has to be shipped in my oppinion. [​IMG]

Fay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by