ebay

ruger 21

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
What kind of hatching rates have you had. Looks like most sellers are in cali. or down south and im in ohio just seems like chances are slim to none with the large temp change and banging around in shipping.But im new to this.

I ordered some button eggs on eBay too. I candled them tonight. 13/15 are surely alive, One egg was my fault, I dropped it and it cracked slightly, but I assumed it would be okay and put it back in, the other I am not sure if it is still alive or not. So if all the alive ones survive ill have a 87% hatch rate, which I would be super happy with.
As long as the seller packages them right, there is nothing to worry about their safety, unless the box gets completely smashed. Mine came in a big foam cube with holes for each egg, and all of them arrived perfectly intact, with not even the slightest cracks, I candled them right when I got them so I didn't miss anything. Although one thing that may happen no matter if its the best packaging or not, is that the air cells can detach with rough treatment, which is out of anyone's control but the post office.
Not like I recomend this, :lol: , but I had problems keeping my incubator warm enough on day 3, it was only 90 degrees for two days and 60 degrees for two hours, so I'm surprised almost all my embryos made it! But I think it may be due to the fact that my room is a cold 58 degrees ( i currently have no heating in my house and it is torture!!) so make sure to keep the incubator in a room with about 65 degrees, and keep the temp preferably at 100 degrees F, but it isn't a big deal if it drops or raises a degree, only for a limited period of time though.
I used a chicken egg turner but taped tissue paper in the cups so the quail eggs don't fail through. Humidity 40-55% (50-55% ideal)
I ordered from South Carolina
Sorry for the long rambling post and good luck hatching eggs!

Last edited:
I have done bobwhite, coturnix, and button quails from shipped eggs with many of them coming all the way across the country. I usually get 50% or better hatch rates. On the bobs got 45 out of 60 hatch! My button are hatching now, got them from Arizona. Already have 35 out of 70 out and more still with pips.

I've had 2 hatches within the past 3 months. One successful, one not, but I don't blame the one on the hatchery; I blame the USPS. Both of them were from a hatchery that sponsors this site. I originally ordered 14 eggs, but they sent 18. The mailman stuck the shipment into my mailbox sideways, upsetting the orientation of the eggs, which is vital for a successful hatch. I called the hatchery about it, and explained what had happened (fyi, there was instructions on the box for the Postmaster to hold the package and contact the recipient, which they did not do). They told me that if I didn't have a successful hatch, to call them back. Three days after "hatch day", 2 Texas A&Ms hatched, and I called the hatchery back. They sent 15 eggs, which were delivered 7 days after my phone call (April 1st). The eggs were picked up from the post office. I put them into the incubator the following day, and on the 19th, they started hatching... first 4, then sporatically throughout the weekend, until 11 hatched. I candled the 4 remaining eggs, one of which was a dud, and the other 3 were float tested and are still in the incubator, just in case. Not a bad hatch rate, plus they were sent by a reputable hatchery. Eleven out of fifteen. Not bad for $26, shipping and handling included.
On both hatches, I kept a constant eye on the humidity and temperature; although at times, 2 of the thermometers I was using did not have the same temperature, and once this hatch, the humidity dropped below 40%. Here is a link to my chicks.
I've never used E-bay, so I can't comment on any results from them.

Well got 29 snowflake bobs in tonight dropped one so ill let u now how it works out. Picked up a little giant incubator at tsc for 34 bucks and 12 gamble eggs coming soon temp is at 99.5 but how do u keep track of the humidity. This is what my 7 year old wanted for his b-day moms not to keen to it but kind of a win win for us. She has been threating to stop the pay pal account so better get more eggs ordered quick.

Back
Top Bottom