eco Chooks in The Royal Forest of Dean!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tim Stratton, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
  2. No

0 vote(s)
  3. Too young to tell

0 vote(s)
  1. Tim Stratton

Tim Stratton Just Hatched

May 24, 2017
    Hello everyone!

My and my partner live off grid in The Forest of Dean, in Gloucester UK. 3 weeks ago we received 4x8 week old chicks as a gift from a friend. Yesterday we also received 2x5-6 week old Peking Bantams, along with a chicken house. We've made a run using old Portakabin window guards and put some eco (free) toys in to keep them occupied. They all seem really happy and I can't wait for them to be settled enough to let them explore more of the area.
    Everything I have researched online about keeping chickens has lead me back to this site so I joined!
    I am planning on building a new house for the girls to grow and stretch and let them be relitively free range! They are being let out daily between 8-9am and being put to bed between 8-9pm as I'm trying to give them as much sunlight and playtime as possible!
    Correct me if I'm wrong but what we have is

1x Rhod island red called Lulu
    1x white star call Dorris
    2x Peking Bantams, Dotty and Marsha
    2x black rocks (need help naming!)

After the first 4 finished bickering and scrapping after a week or so, it looks like one of the black rocks at the top of the order! When we put the Bantums in yesterday the others where a bit horrible to them but they all seem fine now. I have created a safe place for the new arrivals both inside and outside and they're slowing getting to grips with their new and scary environment. They like to hover in the doorway and watch the others!
    Looking forward to keeping you posted on their progress and getting some ideas on how to make them happier!

Many thanks,

Attached Files:

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Tim and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. It seems you have some very thoughtful gifts :)

Sorry, I can't help with breed identification, but the guys on this forum should be able to, so feel free to post there -

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource -

You may wish to consider joining the UK thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area -

All the best

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Tim. Hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.:frow
  4. N F C

N F C home again! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013

Thanks for sharing some photos, it's nice to have you here!
  5. vachick15

vachick15 Chicken Obsessed

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could join our community! Cute names for all those babies, and they sure are cute too! I can't help you with breed but definitely post in our What Breed and Gender section for more help.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our roost! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by