Ecovillages? Intentional communities? What in the world?

My interest in the whole ecovillage thing has left me a bit unsatisfied. I've been googling the topic over the past few days and it seems that every site I go to wants to proclaim to the world that we need to go backwards in time..... I don't subscribe to this point of view.

Is anyone aware of a modern-type eco-aware experiment in which the object is to live as close to normal society as possible, and still be sustainable?

http://www.ecotopia.com/ecovillage/

Quote:
That is where contracts, by-laws and so forth come into play. All things are set out in writing and in order. There is a majority rule in effect and in cases of allowing new people into the community, a 100% agreement of existing community members.

Quote:
I loved growing up having both sets of grandparents, a great grandparent from each side and out family in one house. It was crowded at times, but everyone worked hard, did their part and kept everything going. Not to mention the value information and lessons I learned from the olders in the house. There were also mortifying experiences. Case in point: Being instructed by your great grandmother to read to her what you are studying only to do so and hear "Who wrote those lies?". The next day while sitting in your high school history class, minding your own business, in walks that same great grandmother who says to the teacher... "I am here because of the lies you are teaching my granddaughter...so get up and let me sit and tell you what really happened...because I was there"
ep.gif
She was 101 years old the day she did that. I was mortified then but it is one of my fondness memories of her today.

Quote:
No community can effectively exist without rules, contracts and a completel agreement in writing in these days and times. That would be a must.

Majority rule?
barnie.gif

20 people. 10 yeah, 10 nay............now we fight!
Or even 9 and 11 we win hah, hah. Now we fight!

There HAS TO BE a leader. Elected, coerced, how/whomever. There will always be cases where it comes down to 1 person making the decision for all. Thats where the "moral/ethical" compass is mandatory. Or you end up with, "how can I benefit me as the leader" and then........we fight.

I see this kind of thing happening all the time in local county government. 5 counsel members. 3 to 2 vote and then.........they fight. 4 to 1 and the 1 just "doesn't understand the issue". The 1, from my perspective is usually the right one. "no we don't need to spend a million on a new statue of..."

But majority rule........
roll.png
doesn't mean everyone can't have a say or speak their opinion. But ya'll know about opinions being like....................never mind.

Even Native American Tribes had a leader who made the hard decisions.

* Wouldn't you have to 'go backwards' at least in certain areas to be sustainable?? The one thing I struggle with especially is plastics. Some days, I look around and feel like I am DROWNING in the stuff!!! Yuck.

Hey, ya, Timmo (howdy). Only bunch who've managed to maintain a somewhat similar `community', that I know of, in Missouri, are the Amish/Mennonites. I think one of the main reasons they maintain is owing to : http://www.mennolink.org/doc/lg/index.html . Sharing a distinct language is a powerful principle of organization.

There were a number of communes in Cent. MO. in the `70's. What remain are loose confederacies of like minded folks spread across the landscape. Without a charismatic leader or seperate language, long term sustainability is about as likely as winning the lottery; and charismatic leaders will eventually `cwap-out'.

Went through Dancing Rabbit Guidelines and found this one:

Dancing Rabbit will strive to achieve negative population growth from reproduction.

Good luck with that, fellas
tongue.png

Remember the Shakers?? Where are they now?

We were knocked off the net/grid the other night and just got back up - cell+laptop a mile away doesn't make the nut (I want more power/more connections - kinda like my grandmother's absolute delight at finally moving to a farm with indoor plumbing, i.e., Two Flush Toilets!!!, in 1965, e.g., no romance by candle light - unless lit by choice, not necessity).

I'd be willing to invest in a sustainable community if it was organized around one of these: http://www.atomicinsights.com/AI_03-20-05.html . Until that is up and running, we're sticking with the `loose confederacy' of Bartering, and the generator...

Last edited:
I'm with those above who've said they wouldn't be able to pull it off, but it is a good idea for some. I'm definitely pro independence and solitude.

I have found that good relations with one's neighbors can be very beneficial, but I like my neighbors living a ways away from me.

I think families should start living more closely than they do now and sharing resources, however this isn't an option for all and in our current culture it would be quite an adjustment.

Quote:
Well you are talking a private community not a government that has to answer to the multitude...different animals altogether. My friend has an intentional community and a 'majority rules'. If there is no majority in favor or against, then it is not done...if the idea or plan is re-vamped, it comes back for a vote but it takes a majority rule to make the change or project happen. Works very well actually.

Indian tribes had a leader yes but they were not soley responsible for the decisions, there were counsels who advise them to this day. No different than the Congress and House advising the President. He makes no ruling without them, even his Veto goes back for review by the two and it is sent back to him again.

d.k :

* Wouldn't you have to 'go backwards' at least in certain areas to be sustainable?? The one thing I struggle with especially is plastics. Some days, I look around and feel like I am DROWNING in the stuff!!! Yuck.

I feel your pain.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom