Edible plants

Thanks very much, Dawn! I'm glad I'm not the only one who will have a chicken garden! I figure they're going to eat the stuff anyway, might as well make it easy and plant their own little place near the coop! Just maybe it'll keep them away from my garden for at least a little while (not hopeful).

Your so welcome!

We are building our chicks' run area over my veggie garden as it is really the only flat space available on almost 2 acres. We're planning on setting it up as a "double" so we can keep them on one side to do their thing while the other side is safe from them and growing. Atleast that's the game-plan right now. LOL

On the kale and mustard greens, do you have to tear it up for them or just toss it in their run if I dont have a chicken garden?'
Thanks

doodledo,

I never worried about cutting up any greens that I gave my grown chickens but for chicks I would just give them small, chopped up pieces and make sure they have a bit of grit. Hope this helps!!!

Dawn

Thanks for posting that, WoodlandWoman!

Here's another one...http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/specialty.html...scroll down to Tasty Chicken Treats

The way I see it, if the girls are gonna feed me with their fresh eggs, the least I can do is feed them fresh food whenever possible.

Hubby is totally suprising me and really getting into the whole idea of the chicken garden. We'll be doing raised beds for their gardens around the outside of their run/runs. Will have predator proof wire under the beds and extending out 2 feet from the beds.

Thanks for the great thread.

I've been giving thought to planting around the outside of our run. Would like to provide shade as well as tasty treats.

I've got nasturtium, sugar snap peas, and maybe even some tomatoes (if Cindy keeps bringing home more from the farm).

We thought about squash but were concerned about the weight on the poultry fencing.

This planting will be in really sandy soil and will have to be watered very often... another treat for the chicks.

Hi Shari,

I will do squash in the/along the chicken garden next year. I think that it would be fine as long as it is something like yellow crookneck squash. We prefer them small since it's only the two of us. Been tossing around the idea of gourds, small pumpkins and winter squash also, but I might have to support the fruits with nylons tied to the cattle panel framework...we'll find out next year, for sure!
fl.gif

Dawn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom