edited: How do you tell if a chick is blind?

chickenlady

Songster
12 Years
Aug 28, 2007
Stillwater, NJ
I have a 5 day old chick that seems determined to live however, I have not seen it eat or drink. I have been giving her vitamins and water for the last few days, every 1/2 hour or so. I cannot keep this up much longer. She is getting weaker and feels lighter everyday. I would love for this chick to make it. Last night, in despiration to get her to eat something other than water, I cracked an egg into a glass of warm water and mixed it up and syringed it into her beak, hoping to give some protein. Of course all she is pooping out is water. Any ideas??

Last edited:
sometimes it not meant to be. Some chicks just would die for no reason and some will fight harder to survive.

If it was me, I would let her go.

Well, I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. When I feed it with an eyedropper, it happily keeps on taking a drink. I hold it in front of her and she drinks it on her own. I keep introducing the regular waterer to her but she doesnt seem to want that. She seems a little better today, she is keeping her balance really well. I just gave her some more egg water and she poop a tiny solid green/white poop. So, I still have a little hope. I can try the yogurt but have never had too much luck with that. I just didnt know if there was something else out there that i could try.

Ya know, the ones that need the special attention are the ones that really tear at your heart strings. She was breach in the shell and actually pipped a day early. I use the egg carton method when hatching so I turned her egg around and took off the top half so she could breathe. I left her in there for a little over 24 more hours and then took her out. She seemed just fine, all yolk absorbed, just a little weak. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or similar success stories, please share. Here she is....look at that face, how does one give up?
smile.png

017.jpg

021-1.jpg

024.jpg

Oh gosh. That is one adorable chick.

I know, my whole flock of four were runts, rejects and defects.

Some people buy baby bird formula and learn how to syringe it past the air hole into the crop. If you have the time, that might work for this little baby.

I edited original title because now I am wondering if this chick is blind. How can I tell? How do you get a blind chick to want to eat and drink? Does anyone out there have a blind chicken? How much extra work is it? I'm not sure I want to raise a blind chicken.

Quote:
You could always get it a seeing eye dog.
hide.gif

I had a sick EE that always wanted to keep it's eyes closed. I used Vet Rx, I forced antibiotics into her (3 month old) She is still weak, but this morning I noticed her gobbling down the grower crumbles. I yet have hope for her. She is a buffish yellowish whitish with green legs... absolutely adorable. I hope she makes it to lay an egg... I'll put my Blue Ameraucana over her and see if I can hatch something beautiful out of her... if she makes it.

Back
Top Bottom