Edmonton, Alberta Canada (and area)

I am brand new to the chicken scene... only experience is what I experienced with chickens on my grandparents farm as a youngster lol

I am not In Edmonton, but Calgary, Rockyview County just 20/30 mins from Cochrane & closer to Bragg Creek.

I happened across someone selling fertile eggs in Delacour which was an hour & a half drive from me.... *phew* it was a trek lol.

I got 3 dozen (I ordered 2 lol) eggs that I was told were Americaunas - I shoulda known better at the time lol, however they are looking less & less like Americauna & more like ‘won’t know ‘til they hatch’ eggs lol Of the 36 eggs, so far I see two that may already be quitters, a few late bloomers, & some very nice developers so I am excited to see if I get more than 30% hatch rate.

I believe I may get an Americauna, maybe a Chanselor, a meran, or even a Welsummer (less so on the Welsummer but I can dream💭)

I am brand new to the chicken scene... only experience is what I experienced with chickens on my grandparents farm as a youngster lol

I am not In Edmonton, but Calgary, Rockyview County just 20/30 mins from Cochrane & closer to Bragg Creek.

I happened across someone selling fertile eggs in Delacour which was an hour & a half drive from me.... *phew* it was a trek lol.

I got 3 dozen (I ordered 2 lol) eggs that I was told were Americaunas - I shoulda known better at the time lol, however they are looking less & less like Americauna & more like ‘won’t know ‘til they hatch’ eggs lol Of the 36 eggs, so far I see two that may already be quitters, a few late bloomers, & some very nice developers so I am excited to see if I get more than 30% hatch rate.

I believe I may get an Americauna, maybe a Chanselor, a meran, or even a Welsummer (less so on the Welsummer but I can dream💭)

How did your hatch go?

First time outside! My new greenhouse’s first visitors lol

5417F04E-175E-4583-858A-B571D20BF907.jpeg

First time outside! My new greenhouse’s first visitors lol

View attachment 2108126
Nice!! Lovely (and safe!) place for them to check out the outdoors! I’ve been terrified to bring my young ones out of their brooder even though they are out growing it... I need to get some hardware cloth to wrap around the base of our run yet but I’m having trouble finding some... hopefully soon!

Our “brooder” is so small now 😂 I felt bad for them but the weather has not been favorited so they had a few days in my living room - not favorited by me 😂 but they were loving it. I figured a few hours out here everyday will help but back inside for the nights. They are only 4 weeks old, I think lol

Just resurrecting this thread to see if there are still any Edmonton, AB chicken peeps out there! I have a bunch of chickens (30+) and am chasing those rainbow eggs - just threw a bunch of eggs in the incubator to test for fertility in my flock so I may be doubling my chicken population in a few weeks!
Hello, I am still here! Approval from the city to keep hens came in 2018 abut I wasn't able to build until this spring/summer. 4 of our five 7 month old Easter Eggers started laying in late August and we have been just thrilled with them so far.

With the colder weather upon us, I've been searching the forums/web for extreme cold weather experiences but, as you know, -5C to -10C is "extreme" for most of the (American) users on this and other sites. We had our first light snow this week and its a dreary day today but the girls are happy to be out in the yard and I snapped a few pics to share.

(Edit: in addition to the 3 small 6"x 12" vents visible on the north and west sides, there is 25" x 48" of fully adjustable roof vent at the south end of the coop)

Attachments

• IMG_5922.JPG
    IMG_5922.JPG
    600.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5924.JPG
    IMG_5924.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5925.JPG
    IMG_5925.JPG
    546.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5926.JPG
    IMG_5926.JPG