Educate me on duck eggs...

OhTisLove

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 21, 2009
I found my first egg this morning! (It is big and white and perfect and beautiful and I'm so so so excited! lol) I think it was my big Pekin who laid it, as it doesn't even seem possible that an egg this size could come out of a Runner or my WH. (It's larger than a jumbo store-bought chicken egg!) Hopefully this will kick off the egg laying for the rest of my girls...I've been waiting FOREVER!

That being said, I have some general questions about storing the eggs....

The fridge is best, yes? About how long do duck eggs keep for? I've never had chicken eggs go bad, so I suppose my household goes through enough for that not to happen, but just out of curiousity. Are there foods that I should be feeding my ducks that will make the eggs taste better? How about worse?

Thanks!

it doesn't even seem possible that an egg this size could come out of a Runner or my WH

My little runner lays HOOOOGGGGEEEEE eggs. Her eggs are bigger than the WH eggs
big_smile.png

Eggs in the fridge will keep for months. You can always do the float test to check them (put them in a bowl of water. If they sink to the bottom, the are fresh. If they sink to the bottom but stand on end, they are OK but need to be used ASAP. If they float, toss them.)​

I agree with wifezilla. You'd be suprised the size egg a little runner duck can lay. And yes, they will keep for a long time. Congrats, hope they keep 'em coming for you.

Thinking that a duck/chicken passes an egg everyday that is in most cases is always larger than their head is astonishing. Can you imagine that happening to you everyday?

No thanks.

Quote:
My little runner lays HOOOOGGGGEEEEE eggs. Her eggs are bigger than the WH eggs
big_smile.png

Eggs in the fridge will keep for months. You can always do the float test to check them (put them in a bowl of water. If they sink to the bottom, the are fresh. If they sink to the bottom but stand on end, they are OK but need to be used ASAP. If they float, toss them.)

This test only tells you how much moisture the eggs has lost. Floaters could be good eggs but why risk a rotten egg which may have stinkly gas under pressure that will actually burst if you crack it. I grew up on a farm where we raised our own eggs and I was always taught to crack single eggs into a small dish, Screened out bad eggs and made it easier to fish out any egg shell that might fall in... Still do it to this day.

Back
Top Bottom