EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

My eggs started to hatch this weekend, but I'm gone until tonight. I can see one egg through a baby monitor app and I notice that the temperature is dropping as one egg is hatching. Will everything be alright until I get home tonight? And I'm pretty sure it just externally pipped because it looks malpositioned. Can it get out on its own? Please give advice.

My eggs started to hatch this weekend, but I'm gone until tonight. I can see one egg through a baby monitor app and I notice that the temperature is dropping as one egg is hatching. Will everything be alright until I get home tonight? And I'm pretty sure it just externally pipped because it looks malpositioned. Can it get out on its own? Please give advice.

How low? Temps down to 97ish are perfectly fine for lockdown, and some have had much lower with good hatch rates.

Most can get out on their own, if it can breathe wait 24 hours (longer for malpos) before stepping in.

Getting more friendly - no full on cuddling yet, and that may never come, and Brooke still hides a lot of the time, but they are clearly feeling like it's home. I wear shoes inside (because I have off and on plantar fasciitis), but occasionally am barefoot. I have definitely noticed that when I'm walking near her, she really watches my feet when I'm wearing shoes, and will look at my shoes warily even across the room, but she will approach and sniff my bare toes. I'm suspecting that at some point in her life she was kicked enough to fear shoes.
sad.png

Here too - my car is BRIGHT yellow. (cough, cough, sniff, sniff).

Believe it or not, I did! And this morning they seem none the worse for wear. I've been cleaning brooders this AM, took a break for lunch, heading over to clean theirs in a minute.

I was weighing and cleaning and looking over the chicks and unfortunately, the super small S&G NNs that I've been worried about (who are so so small and not growing well) are starting to act unwell (well, two of them). I already knew that I was going to cull these, but was going to give them a shot of growing up with the rest, but if they're going to be ill as well, I'm afraid I'll need to cull this weekend. (Looking for strong resistant breeding stock from this group - so not going to keep any unwell birds.) All other chicks in that brooder are hale and hardy, and all other chicks in the other groups also are. I had some Speckled Sussex (hatchery) who were super susceptible to cocci, and were very hard to keep treated. I got them through it and into adulthood just fine, but later decided to give them away as backyard layers, because I don't want disease-susceptible genetics in any of my future chicks.

I put some probiotics in their water (which could help them and couldn't hurt the group), and will give them a day to perk up, then will decide. One of the more unpleasant aspects of chicken breeding...

OK, off to do more brooder cleaning...

- Ant Farm
glad they are doing better, sad to hear about possibly getting kicked you can keep the pollen ours will be here soon enough
glad they are all accounted for though the littles are now unwell
hugs.gif

did you hear that ideal just got some award?

it might be able to, but if only gone until tonight i wouldnt worry too mush yet, just keep an eye on the pip, and membrane to make sure it doesnt dry out

It was 97 but now it's down to 93
do you know why its dropping?
it could still be ok, but i hope it warms up soon
what kind of bator?

Saw this add on Craig's list and I am thinking these must be ex battery leghorns hens because

They are "mature"
and only "good" egg layers
And they apparently share a yard ??? ummm look at the length of those toe nails - that hen has not been sharing anything but wire
And she has been debeaked. Not to mention the condition of her feathers.

Wish people were honest.
Many people would like to give an ex battery hen a home and bit of the good life. Why not call it what it is.

:barnie

Saw this add on Craig's list and I am thinking these must be ex battery leghorns hens because

They are "mature"
and only "good" egg layers
And they apparently share a yard ??? ummm look at the length of those toe nails - that hen has not been sharing anything but wire
And she has been debeaked. Not to mention the condition of her feathers

Wish people were honest.
Many people would like to give an ex battery hen a home and bit of the good life. Why not call it what it is.
and she almost looks blind poor thing

Back
Top Bottom