EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Oct 12, 2016.

1. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I have been asking people for so long, I finally figured it out myself. My favorite answer, from numerous people, has been, "is it three something?"

2. Don 27

Don 27 Songster

Aug 13, 2019
    OH
    :p okay doky

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ours too..this year. :hmm

BullChick likes this.
  4. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Isn't it great when they can turn their lives around? Usually means they were brought up...good. :).

5. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ha..yes, the cotton smell. Had to order more. You are out of the Mandarin... :(.

6. Pensmaster

Pensmaster Free Ranging

Jan 10, 2014
    Northern California
    Not many insects here now either. Frog and bird population decline following lack of insects. I can now leave the screen door open without much fear of an insect entering.

When we first moved here 20 years ago at least 10 varieties of birds and there were frogs everywhere. Now I’d be hard pressed to find 5 varieties of birds and frogs are still out there but much fewer.

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    That's sad Pen...we have plenty of bugs I guess. We are seeing so many bats this year, just before sundown, flying low, getting those bugs. We know we've certainly had mosquitos this year, when we don't usually have them like this year around our homes. A lot of rain this year. It's been fun seeing different birds..oh, and we have waay too many worms in our lawn! It's lumpy..the Robin's love it. Even with them eating up a storm in the spring, those worms are there. Huge, would make for great fishing. Would only need to take about three for a whole day of fishing! Night crawlers. Creepy to catch. Makes me shiver to think if grabbing one..lol .my chickens never ate them. Well, can't say never. Saw it happen once on a while. :idunno

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The concern over declining amphibian populations and even extinctions has been known for over 50 years.
    I have noticed a drop in some bird species but my experience is possibly due to the fact that I no longer have the plethora of wild bird feeders I used to have. I had hummingbird feeders, oriole feeders, several tube feeders, thistle feeder, a safflower/cardinal feeder, a big woodpecker feeder(filled with tree nuts) and a platform feeder for ground feeding birds. All day there would be goldfinch and purple finches, flickers, nuthatches and up to 4 species of woodpeckers, I haven't seen one of those this year. I haven't seen an indigo bunting, scarlet tanager or bluebird here in years. And bluebird is the Missouri state bird.
    I have a lot of frogs, toads and several species of reptiles here. I don't even have a body of water on my property other than a seasonal rain garden by the house. The nearest permanent bodies of water are a small pond about 300 yards behind me and a creek about a 1/4 mile down the hill. Just walking through the back of the property where the chickens, garden and bee hives are will get some skinks, frogs and occasionally a toad scurrying out of the way.
    Maybe your situation is more of a prolonged drought issue.
    There is no shortage of insects, spiders, etc. here.
    We've had a disturbing influx of the invasive stink bugs.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Cynthia12, aliciaplus3 and Pensmaster like this.
  9. Pensmaster

Pensmaster Free Ranging

Jan 10, 2014
    Northern California
    We still have the ponds in the area even through the drought I kept one going. Past couple years have been normal for rainfall. Past season probably above average. The sounds the frogs made around January and February were deafening.

Even the fly population has been very low this year. Mosquitoes I think I’ve been pestered by 10 all season and that number is high. I haven’t seen a June bug here in a few years. They used to hang on the screen door.

We used to have what I called alligator lizards here. I did see a Blue Skink in the orchard the other day. Speaking of the orchard not one worm in the 15 or so apples I cut up yesterday. I’m sure there are some. I do not spray any of my trees.

Wasps that were very numerous such that you couldn’t go outside with food are so few in number I find myself trying to protect them. I literally was watching a nest of them on my chicken coop thought about spraying them as they were near the coop door. Decided to leave them. Over the course of a week their numbers dropped and now it’s empty.

Either I’m deaf and blind or something else is at work here. As to being hotter this summer has been milder than most.
    We do have a new subdivision directly to the west of me, 5 acres lots. They maybe spraying for bugs just not sure how much that would be affecting my area. I don’t know if they are spraying or not.

Few bats left which due to the bug population decline that doesn’t surprise me. I’m glad they headed your way. I miss them flying around.
    I tried feeding some worms to my chickens. They looked at me like your kidding right? :lau

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Pen! Wasps! Now those were bad this year here too!

Pensmaster likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: