EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

20200124_155406.jpg
2 things of note here
Sweetheart has at least 3 of these.
20200124_173700.jpg
oh and the neighbor dropped these 2 "boys?" Off at my house. We seem to be getting 2 goose eggs a day so our theory is that we have 2 females... if these are genders then ?

Attachments

• 20200124_173653.jpg
    20200124_173653.jpg
    788.3 KB · Views: 0
Around here you are doing good to get $5 each... folks are so tuned into the hatchery prices that even a full grown chicken they don't want to pay much. I am hopeful that the marans I am hatching turn out well. I am notorious for helping folks and often end up without whatever it was I was hoping to keep.

Around here you are doing good to get $5 each... folks are so tuned into the hatchery prices that even a full grown chicken they don't want to pay much. I am hopeful that the marans I am hatching turn out well. I am notorious for helping folks and often end up without whatever it was I was hoping to keep.
To me it doesn't make sense to sell a fully grown rooster (2-3kg) that I have been raised and know what is it's condition for 5$ and then buy a chicken, with a dubious history, for dinner from the butcher/supermarket for 10$! I prefer to eat my owen birds If I can't get a good price for them.

To me it doesn't make sense to sell a fully grown rooster (2-3kg) that I have been raised and know what is it's condition for 5$ and then buy a chicken, with a dubious history, for dinner from the butcher/supermarket for 10$! I prefer to eat my owen birds If I can't get a good price for them.
That's my theory. We eat all our extra roosters and when it warms up we will be eating some older hens too...
We are in a small town far from everything and folks expect birds to be free or cheap if they have to pay for them. Gotta love life.

Lo

Love fly fishing. Haven’t been in a long time.
Same here, although I'm not one of the guys who has to have every piece of exotic equipment ever made, looking like I just stepped out of an Orvis catalogue. I've only ever owned 2 fly rods. First one was stolen out of my car back in the 60's & replaced with the one I have now; a 7' fiberglass Shakespeare with an automatic Abu Garcia reel. Lord knows how many fish I've caught on that rig; 99% of them Bluegill & other related sunfish, usually with poppers. Never worried a lot with regular tippets; just used regular mono. Doesn't get much better than playing palm-sized 'Gills on fly equipment. If they grew as large as their cousins, the largemouth bass, you'd never be able to land one.

I've been thinking of fishing, too.Looking at lakes along the SC and Georgia border.
$250 for a rod, or rod and reel? I thought rods were about $110. St. Croix does have customer appreciation sale coming up.
$250 for just the rod...too rich for my blood!

I was in the St. Croix factory several years ago, fighting with myself over whether to buy a sweet ultra-light spinning rod from their "2nds" barrel. Finally left w/o it, then broke one two days later; been kicking myself ever since, They won't sell the "2nds" on their web site.

I have a St. Croix rod with a broken tip; son gave it to me years ago as a gift. Tried to get it repaired, but it's a one piece...missing the top 6" or so...don't even remember why. Still usable in a pinch.

Same here, although I'm not one of the guys who has to have every piece of exotic equipment ever made, looking like I just stepped out of an Orvis catalogue. I've only ever owned 2 fly rods. First one was stolen out of my car back in the 60's & replaced with the one I have now; a 7' fiberglass Shakespeare with an automatic Abu Garcia reel. Lord knows how many fish I've caught on that rig; 99% of them Bluegill & other related sunfish, usually with poppers. Never worried a lot with regular tippets; just used regular mono. Doesn't get much better than playing palm-sized 'Gills on fly equipment. If they grew as large as their cousins, the largemouth bass, you'd never be able to land one.
Me either. My friend did and except for vest, rod and reel I used all his stuff

Back
Top Bottom